Thursday, June 28, 2007

Am I missing something? Iowa State athletics now has a "life skills" adviser, but I don't see it as a runaway victory for Gene Chizik and Jamie Pollard. President Geoffroy said "no" to a paid staff position for a chaplain, which is what Chizik asked for, even if that request stated the salary would come from private donations. Geoffroy also added a lengthy list of guidelines and restrictions that the volunteer counselor must now follow. Keep in mind ISU football had a volunteer chaplain on previous teams. On the victory front, Geoffroy didn't shoot down the role altogether, which puts Chizik's man on the scene. I find it curious so many of the media stories make it seem like Chizik got exactly what he wanted. Take a closer look...

Jerry Crawford is a smart man. Is he smart enough to purposely release a list of five awful nickname finalists for Des Moines' new NBA D-League team just so we'll all be outraged and talk about it endlessly? I don't know, but if he is, PT Barnum and Bill Veeck tip their hats from the great beyond...

Thanks to you, and the outrage you showed here and other places, we will not be the Corncobs or River Rats. Thank heavens. KXNO's Marty Tirrell told me Crawford dropped a hint of the new name on John Bachman's Insiders. Crawford said the name would bring a lot of "energy". Will it be Marc Hansen's suggestion of the Energy? Or is one of KXNO's callers correct when he predicts the Red Bulls? After all, Des Moines will be an affiliate of the Chicago Bulls, and Red Bull brings energy, not to mention cash. I'm still writing about it. Maybe Crawford is a genius...

Anyone who still believes in Ann Coulter after what she said about John Edwards needs his or her head examined. I don't care what side of the aisle you're on...

After nearly a year, Shawn Terrell is finally on vacation. Shawn if you're reading this, stop. You've earned the time off...

Our new guy, Chris Hassel, does good impressions, and he won't stop singing that Toby Keith song where Toby sings, "Cause we'll put a boot in your ass. It's the American way." I know many people love it, others find it objectionable, but it just makes me laugh...

I had a lifetime memory Tuesday night. My 73 year old father asked me to take him to the midnight showing of Live Free or Die Hard. Yes, he's that big a fan of John McClane. Dad and I were joined by two other diehard fans (or is it Die Hard fans) at the Cobblestone (this is the theater when you want to avoid a crowd). I'm happy to report Die Hard 4 delivers the goods. It's one of the best action movies I've seen in years. My dad actually loved it the most of the four, but come on Pops, nothing beats the original, Entertainment Weekly's accurate pick as the best action movie of all time (and most copied). A- We got home at 2:30 a.m....

McClane tortures his young sidekick, well played by Justin Long, with Creedence Clearwater Revival music. I love Creedence. I think John Fogerty is the most underrated mainstream artist of the past three decades. If you need evidence, listen to his solo and group greatest hits Long Road Home. Song after song after song is instantly familiar. Great album...

As previously mentioned, I'm a Diet Pepsi addict. Heck, DP is even in the SoundOFF Hall of Fame. You can imagine my excitement when I stopped by Kum & Go and saw Diet Pepsi Max. Just what I need: more caffeine!...

Shaq is teaching kids how to get in shape? The guy who joins his team 10 seconds after they arrived on offense? Well, at least he's seems sincere about helping...

I keep hearing from a "bored 25 y.o. girl". Why are they all 25, and why are they all bored? I'm sorry; I can't help...

Who whines more, Kobe or Danica? I'll go with Kobe. He wanted to be the Man, now he is. Shut up and play...

I spent two days at the Iowa Speedway and walked away impressed. It's an incredible facility. You instantly feel like you're in a bigtime facility, because you are. Jenny and I tailgated, after buying Iowa Speedway sweatshirts (where was that 85 degree weather, Ed?), and people couldn't have been nicer. The race itself was a little on the boring side. They need to find ways for more passing. It's not good racing when pits and wrecks decide who wins. Still, I loved it, and we'll be back...

The biggest success of the Iowa Corn Indy 250 is that it attracted many non-traditional race fans, like my parents. That's what made it such a big deal. Many Knoxville Raceway fans were offended and displeased with all the talk of "biggest race in Iowa". Yes, the Nationals championship is a more important race, and attracts more people over a four day period, but this was an "event". Maybe we should have said "most important event based around a race". The folks in Knoxville should be pleased more fans are trying a night at the races. They won't regret going to a sprint car race. It's far more exciting than IRL racing...

Oh yeah, fix the traffic problem. If I want a nightmare like that, I'll leave late for the Iowa-Iowa State football game...

Took the kids to Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. The surfer was cool, Jessica Alba hot, and The Human Torch fun, but this movie made no sense. Why is Earth being destroyed? Could you repeat that Mr. Surfer? C if you're an adult. B if you're 12 or under...

Nice to see New Orleans draft Adam Haluska. He's 6-5, can shoot in the open or off the dribble, great athlete---if there's no room for a guy like that in the NBA, the league is worse off than Paul Shirley makes it sound...

As Dr. Phil says, "You either get it, or you don't". Pacman and Tank don't...

Did you see Iowa State's wrestling schedule? Cael wants that national championship sooner, not later...

Great job by my man, B.Ross last Sunday night. KXNO'S Marty Tirrell is in this week. I wonder if he'll have any opinions.

Live Free or Die Hard,
Keith

6 comments:

Heather R. said...

Keith,
Sounds like you had a good time at the race. I watched it on tv and was thankful I wasn't in that traffic jam!!! If you dont like the track, than dont come back Miss Whiny Pants. I was annoyed by her comments. Enjoy your vacation Shawn!!! Your movie reviews are hilarious Keith. Keep um coming...
Have a good weekend and safe holiday everyone.

Anonymous said...

Is that Sean guy single? He's a stud.

Sara said...

any chance chris hassel will sit in on soundoff?

Anonymous said...

Any chance you can ger Brady Quinn to sit in on Sound Off sometime?

Keith Murphy said...

Answering a couple of questions:

Shawn is single, but has a girlfriend.

I'm sure Chris will sit in on SoundOFF sometime. Heather Burnside will be there for awhile.

Thanks you. Have a good 4th.

Anonymous said...

Say, "hi," to Brady Quinn for me!