- I already miss the Urbandale All-Stars. They played well, played hard, and played for love of the game. The boys also gave refreshingly honest, and often insightful, answers to Chris Hassel's questions.
- Can you imagine being 12 and winning a World Series game?! I wish.
- Ames High's Harrison Barnes talked with Andy and me on our radio show about his final six. He gave solid reasons for all six---Duke, NC, OU, KU, UCLA, Iowa State---but I found most interesting his comments about Duke helping make him a good man.
- The older I get, and the more I go to Major League baseball games, the more I appreciate Principal Park and the Iowa Cubs.
- It sounds like Brett Favre has little support in the Vikings locker room. Where's the loyalty from his teammates? He's being treated like he didn't sweat and toil through training camp with those guys... Right. Never mind.
- The daughter of former Roosevelt track star Kim Carson has Acute Leukemia. Bailey is 5 years old. Saturday at Lillian's in Valley Junction, unique handbags are being sold with all proceeds going to Bailey. If you can, please stop by "Bags for Bailey" between 1 and 3.
- Rusty Wallace says we all need to pump our brakes about a NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Iowa Speedway. It's good advice. Nationwide Series is enough for now, and far more affordable.
- I know Valley lost 20 starters, but I'm not too worried about the Tigers struggling, are you?
- How can the Cubs be this bad? And the Cardinals this good?
- I've made fun of the Bengals for years, and now I kind of like them. That's the power of HBO's Hard Knocks. I even get a kick out of Ocho Cinco.
- USA Today came up with every college football team's "Golden Years". For Iowa, it's 1956-1960 under Forest Evashevski. For Iowa State, 2000-2005 with Dan McCarney.
- Need help coming up with a fantasy football team name? http://football.razzball.com/fantasy-football-team-name-generator
- Alright, I admit it, the new guy for Journey is really good. I still prefer the original.
- Come on football season. Get here!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Posted by Keith Murphy at 11:54 PM
Thursday, August 13, 2009
- "Idiot of the Week" award to the Cubs bleacher bum who tossed a full cup of beer at the Phillies Shane Victorino. The Cubs players look bad enough this season, the fans don't need to make it worse.
- I didn't think it was possible but HBO made me care, if only for a short while, about the Cincinnati Bengals. "Hard Knocks" combines great storytelling with incredible access.
- My dog just took a dump on my Eagles gear. I had no idea he had been watching TV.
- I know Jeff Samardzija said as far as he's concerned you can take Des Moines off the map, so why can't he stay away? (Just kidding, Jeff. We all understand your preference for Chicago, so stop throwing batting practice.)
- Tough break---literally---for Iowa's Jordan Bernstine. Bernstine worked hard to take the #1 corner spot. He'll still have two seasons there when his ankle heals.
- I have no idea how Jerry Crawford finds the time to run the Iowa Energy and manage the Tampa Bay Rays.
- The Barnstormers had to have a hangover after that disappointing loss to Green Bay, but Brian Villanueva got carried away.
- Green Bay head coach Bob Landsee embarrassed himself, his family, and his organization. I can't believe a grown man---a leader---would act like that. Sure, a few Barnstormer fans got carried away, but nothing excuses the Blizzard hothead.
- Bruuuuuuuuuuce! Springsteen coming to Des Moines. The Well is having a career year.
- Good to see Mario Andretti, Tony Stewart, and Kasey Kahne all in Knoxville this week. That's a pretty good trio---though Kahne doesn't look old enough to have his license.
- I think it's far from over for Rick Pitino. Look for the coach to take more heat as his reputation takes more hits.
- I love the Iowa State Fair---though a little goes a long way. One day is plenty.
- If you haven't been yet, put the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown on your bucket list. Unless you don't love baseball, then make room for something else, like visiting the Pyramids.
- The best kickoff time for me, and my tailgating wants, is 2:30 p.m. in Iowa City and 5 p.m. in Ames.
- Todd Blythe is now receivers coach at Valley High School. The rich get richer.
- Michigan putting Ohio State stickers on tackling dummies shows who's on top and who has the inferiority complex.
- Was anything more predictable than the David Ortiz "accidental supplements and vitamins" defense?
- At least Josh Hamilton was accountable. Eventually.
- T-Pain sings the new Dolphins fight song. It's the old Oilers fight song, which was originally the Dolphins fight song. Got that? Here it is. Get ready for more auto-tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RahX6f-47yE
Posted by Keith Murphy at 11:32 PM
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
- Iowa State football has such a different vibe around it right now. Even if the Cyclones don't win much, they'll have more fun, and the fans will too.
- Paul Rhoads can't contain his excitement, and it's contagious. Iowa State needs that.
- Great decision to put the names back on the jerseys. Nothing is more hollow than, "we play for the name on the front of the jersey". The names are for the fans (but players like the recognition too).
- Media days are interesting. We ask countless questions, even though practice hasn't started yet.
- Paul Rhoads wants to raise expectations, Kirk Ferentz will try to downplay them. It's the smart play by both men.
- If Iowa played in the Big 12 North this season, I think the Hawks contend for the division title, but I'd still pick Nebraska. As for the overall champion, that team is coming from the South.
- Jason Campbell on the cover of Sports Illustrated? I love when SI arrives and that's a dud. Kind of the way I felt when Entertainment Weekly just sent its vampire edition.
- The Cubs and Cards trading first place in August is awesome.
- Bills vs Titans in the Hall of Fame game Sunday on channel 13! Meaningless, but still exciting.
- I hope ESPN is aware the Red Sox & Yankees play this weekend.
- New traffic cameras in Heath, Ohio helped the city issue 10,000 tickets. Now that's good safety.
- LenDale White lost 30 pounds by giving up tequila? I'm surprised my college roommate wasn't manorexic.
- Great news for GI Joe fans. The movie with terrible buzz is reportedly good---especially for kids.
- Still haven't seen "Funny People". I think it has a chance to contend for favorite Adam Sandler movie. I rank them: 1)Happy Gilmore 2)Wedding Singer 3)Reign Over Me 4)Big Daddy 5)Billy Madison 6)50 First dates 13)Waterboy
- The AFL folding will make the Barnstormers franchise more valuable. Keep the ticket prices reasonable, and even more fans will follow.
- AAU Junior Olympians are spending money all over town. I see them everywhere. Thank you for stimulating our economy.
- The U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway was well planned, well executed, and well worth the sunburn I suffered by tailgating for 8 hours. I forget as my hair thins, more scalp is exposed. I'll use sunblock as hair gel next time.
- My wife and I are taking my dad to visit his older brothers this weekend. We've worked in a stop at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I can't wait. Haven't been there since I was a kid. I'm sure I'll feel like one again Saturday.
Posted by Keith Murphy at 10:46 PM