Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Run Lolo Run

Lolo Jones is the real deal. She's just as nice, charismatic, and energetic in person as she is on TV. I'd be remiss if I didn't also disclose she's just as pretty--- even with a headband, even with no make-up, even after no sleep, even with jet lag.
*
It was nice to see more than 1,500 people show up at Hy-Vee Hall for Monday's Olympic Send-Off. Lolo and Shawn Johnson were blown away by the overflow crowd. I was relieved. I had the honor of being the emcee and assisted Courtney Greene (with the Governor's office) on the planning; neither of us had any idea what kind of crowd would show. To our relief, it exceeded everybody's expectations. We appreciate all the people, including the media, showing support.
*
Shawn Johnson is sweet, somewhat shy, and surprisingly humble. People sometimes forget she's only 16. Think back to when you were 16. I was ---how can I put this?---an idiot. Shawn handles her fishbowl life well, and her parents and coach do a good job of making her life as normal as possible. It's about to get crazier.
*
One of the thrills for me behind the scenes was seeing Shawn and Lolo meet for the first time. Both have become fans of the other. Shawn told me she can't believe how fast Lolo can run over those hurdles (who can), and Lolo said she has no idea how Shawn does those gravity-defying routines. Shawn told me during the ceremony she's not sure how she does it either.
*
My favorite moment was when Lolo surprised the single mother of two with a check for $12,000. (Renee Trout lost her Cedar Rapids home to flooding.) It wasn't that long ago Lolo was near broke, and she still needs her prize money, but she found someone who needs it more. First class.
*
My favorite question at the post-rally news conference. "Lolo, are you looking forward to eating Chinese food?" Yes, it was Andy Fales.
*
My ears are still ringing from the little girl screams. I have all boys, so I didn't realize girls could be so LOUD. They see Shawn Johnson, and the sirens start blaring. Wow.
*
I'm watching the All-Star game as I type this. I loved the introductions with the Hall of Famers, but I was disappointed I didn't see my all time favorite, Johnny Bench.
*
Did the Cubs bring their entire roster to Yankee Stadium?
*
There are few things in sports stupider than this game deciding who gets home field advantage in the World Series.
*
Who thought it was a good idea to have Sheryl Crow sing our National Anthem? She's fine with breezy songs but doesn't have the pipes for the Star Spangled Banner. Next time try Simon Estes.
*
Did you see Josh Hamilton's show? To quote Tommy Boy, "that was...AWESOME."
*
Erin Kiernan's blog talked me into the Bucket List, and to my surprise, I really enjoyed it. I thought it would be too much like an Oprah, but it was funny, inspiring, and thought-provoking. It also proved one of the fundamental truths of entertainment: Morgan Freeman improves anything he's in.
*
Hellboy 2 is a good comic come to life. It's like the Star Wars cantina scene on steroids. I can't believe some of what I saw on screen. I go to movies like this for my kids, but I enjoyed Ron Pearlman as the big red guy. Hellboy 2 also has one of the best scenes of the year thanks, in part, to Barry Manilow. Go figure.
*
Wanted is like Fight Club crossed with Bourne Supremacy. Ultra violent and never a dull moment. It's more hyper than lunch at a McDonald's playland. Louder too. But not as loud as the girl screams at a Shawn Johnson rally.
*
This Brett Favre saga is an absolute mess. The Packers are clearly tired of Favre's yearly indecision, and it has grown way past the point of tired, but they have only two choices: start him or release him. I think they hope he'll just stay retired. He won't.
*
Kirk Ferentz is on many college football "hot seat" lists. Hard to believe after the way things were going five years ago, but when you combine Kirk's salary, with Iowa's recent record, and all the arrests, we shouldn't be surprised. However, I personally don't think Ferentz actually is on a hot seat.
*
Iowa Chops grew on some people. The poll results moved in a more favorable direction for the new team all weekend.
*
Andy and I had a good time tweaking the Quad Cities. The Barnstormers asked us to do it. It was all in good fun, and way over the top, so it's surprising that a few of the visitors were actually offended. If you watched that jumbotron and took it seriously, you need to relax. Stat.
*
6th inning now, and I actually have to care about the outcome. I'm one of many Cubs fans thinking ahead. That's probably not smart given how the past 100 years worked out.
*
Congratulations to all our friends over at KXNO radio. KXNO is one of six finalists for the Marconi award, which goes to the country's best sports radio station. KXNO is up against some major market stations, which is quite a compliment.
*
I still don't care about A-Rod and Madonna, and I'm approaching Favre fatigue.
*
Josh Groban just sang God Bless America. Next time, let him do the Anthem too.

Go NL,
Keith

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Well, guess that whole home field advantage for the Cubs didn't work out last night or should I say this morning?!? Zambrano, Dempster and Marmol looked good at least.

Anonymous said...

KXNO is up for a Marconi? How the hell did that happen?
What's the criteria for nomination, $40 and a guest segment with Cotlar?
Seriously, I didn't think Marty "Bucky Beaver Face" Tirrel's head could get any bigger. He may suck and get fired again real soon, but he'll throw that Marconi nomination around more often than a Hawkeye player tossing around a coed.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't take that Marconi thing too serious, Star 102.5 is nominated for two awards.