Thursday, January 01, 2009

Hawkeyes party like it's 2009.

It's too bad the football season has to end for Iowa. The Hawkeyes peaked at the perfect time. This is a team in need of a playoff. They're not ready for Florida, Oklahoma or USC, but I believe Iowa, on any given Saturday, can beat anyone outside the top ten right now.

Which is more true of the Outback Bowl: Iowa looked great or South Carolina looked awful?Seriously, that's the worst bowl team this side of Minnesota. The Gamecocks were a mess from start to finish. Steve Spurrier earned his "genius" label at Florida, but it's always easier when you have blue chip recruits. Just ask Gene Chizik.

Shonn Greene had nothing to prove and nothing to gain by staying at Iowa. It's a shame we only got to see him for one full season, but he'll be 24 in August, that's 34 in running back years. Iowa fans should thank Shonn for the memories and wish him well. Anyone who lugged furniture so he could lug the football deserves a break.

Kirk Ferentz told us he hasn't talked to the Browns, and he's thrilled to be at Iowa. I believe that statement is true. There would be no reason the Browns would contact Kirk yet. However, Cleveland is trying to give full control to Ferentz's close friend, Scott Pioli. The Boston Herald reports Pioli would then do all he can to hire Ferentz as head coach. If Pioli accepts the job, and all that's true, we still don't know what Kirk would do. He loves having a stable family life in Iowa City. He appreciates the job security he won't find in the NFL. However, if ever there were a time, this might be it. There's euphoria in Hawkeye Nation today, but it was a rough 2008 for Ferentz. More players arrested, an internal review Ferentz didn't appreciate (and which cleared him of any wrongdoing), and unprecedented criticism from fans.

I still expect him back on the Iowa sideline. Until he's not.

It's no wonder Iowa hops over other Big Ten schools for better bowls. Did you see that crowd in Florida? Hawkeye fans caused traffic jams at the beach, fire code violations in bars, and a near home field advantage at the stadium.

It was hard not to be jealous. Perfect weather, and the fans looked like they were having a blast. Andy and I covered the past couple bowls in Florida. Shawn Terrell and Chris Hassel earned this trip, and I'm proud of the job they did. It's more work than people imagine, but no one complains when it's 75 and sunny.

Shawn and Chris traveled on the Hawkeye Nation charter with Jon Miller and company. It's a great way to go. We appreciate Jon saving a couple of seats for us on the sold out plane.

Cyclone fans keep asking why we're not making a bigger deal out of Cy winning the Cap One Bowl's "most dominant Mascot on Earth". I think they're serious.

Okay, here goes: congratulations Cyclone fans for spending more time online voting for your mascot than any other fans in America.

Something more inspiring: great job out of Iowa State's Greg Geoffroy, Jamie Pollard, Greg McDermott, Bill Fennelly and Paul Rhoads for giving up a week's pay to help with the budget crisis. Leadership starts at the top, especially when the top makes the most money. (update: Heather in Clive, who I know to be a die hard Cyclone fan disagrees, and emailed the following:
It's symbolic, not substantive. I suppose that's o.k., but issuing a news release negates the gesture, IMHO. Interesting point. What do you think?)

Happy New Year!
Keith

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyclone fans have proven time and time again, on numerous SoundOFF polls, that they can vote early AND often, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that Cy is the best mascot...based on...well, nothing really...

Anonymous said...

No offense, but Iowa is playing well, but let's be honest with ourselves, they played a BAD south carolina team, they play in arguably the worst BCS conference. To say they could beat any team in the top ten is a bit of a stretch. I moved out of iowa last year and I see the now the Homerism that happens with teams in your state, ones views become a little biased. Great season Hawks, but we need the big ten to stop sucking badly to make the hawks look better.

Tim + Janice said...

"he'll be 24 in August, that's 34 in running back years...."
I love that! And true!
Speaking from my parents' basement with a keyboard covered in Cheeto's, yes, we voted for Cy often.....and it paid off!
The salary thing will catch on....other schools and small businesses...pity the big 3 can't grasp such an idea.....Thanks, Keith, for a good column....

Hawkeyes Fanatic said...

I agree w/ Keith... The Hawks are H-O-T! Good job guys! I hope Kirk sticks around for a few more seasons! The NFL has no job security! GO HAWKSY!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to CY, the only Iowa Stater who goes to all the ftball games, and is still capable of beating other teams , well... their mascots atleast!

Anonymous said...

"To say they could beat any team in the top ten is a bit of a stretch."

That really IS a stretch, which is why Keith said "OUTSIDE the top 10"...maybe, before incorrectly labeling someone as having being biased by "homerism", you should make sure you're reading things correctly...and stop being an elitist and thinking you're somehow more enlightened because you don't live in Iowa anymore...a-hole...

Anonymous said...

so sorry shane, I did misread keith's post. wow, your attitude sure makes me miss iowa. But being the elitist that I am, I don't need to call you names, I'm better than that. perhaps you should broaden your views and get out of that hole of a town. oh wait that wasn't elitist of me or was it? I forgot...oh well, here's to shane internet tough guy!!

Anonymous said...

You started with the name calling, when you called Keith a homer...and you actually haven't stopped...besides, I wouldn't go as far as calling me an "internet tough guy", I'm not hard to find. And judging by your responses, it's not my views that need broadening...they seem to be right on the money...

Anonymous said...

boy shane your a bitter little man...I'm not hard to find...calling people a-holes. your right your views are right on the money. keith's a big boy, he'll be ok, he doesn't need you defending him. already said I misread his post and for that i'm sorry. apparently you can't write in complete sentences? Shane how many posts do you have on here now, no life? seems that way, I hardly come on here, but everytime I do, it seems like your always on here. Nothing to do in M-town? imagine that?! It's ok internet tough guy, next time I'm in M-town you can buy me a beer, since your easy to find! Good times, waiting for a fun remark from you. I love internet webboards!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...someone's got their panties in a wad. Are you ok now? I actually forgot about you, so I went off an had no life without the blog this weekend, sorry for keeping you waiting...I'm not going to come up with anything too "fun" for you this time around, we've pretty much ruined this entry for everyone, for that, I apologize to everyone and to Keith.

As for you anonymous, when you start to go with reruns only 2 posts into an argument, it's already old and you've proved me right already anyway...As for my sentence structure, say what you want, but at least I know the difference between "your" and "you're"...And YOUR assessment about me being here too much is like telling someone they eat too much McDonald's because everytime YOU'RE there, you see them...Seriously, are you in middle school? What's next, gonna start talkin' bout my momma??

So go ahead and comment back, but I can't guarantee I'll see it, since you've already bored me into submission as it is...and no matter what you come up with, don't expect another reply from me as this has jumped the shark already.

To quote Paul Harvey..."Goood Day!" Seriously, say it in your head like he would, it works much better that way...

Anonymous said...

No offense Shane, but you are coming off a little whiny and you obvoiusly have a major man-crush on Keith Murphy. I'm normally pretty cool with stuff like that, but you're creeping me out a bit.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kirk. You've gone a bit overboard here, Shane.

Bryan

Anonymous said...

Keith, what time does your stupid show come on? Every time I try to record it, there is either football on or some guy doing the news, a little consistency would be nice. Also, how long is the show? I always thought it was a half-hour, but sometimes when I record the show it doesn't appear to stop after 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Shane, you should get that book Andy is reading to help his anger management. It's called,

"Im not Angry, I'm Just a Little Mad".

Anonymous said...

shane your winning the anger contest!!! well done!

Anonymous said...

I think Shane has gone into her bedroom and is cowering like a puppy during a thunderstorm.
Man up Shane, you've got a reputation to uphold.

Anonymous said...

yeah funny thing about shane, he claims to be the all knowing ever lasting no-it-all, but all i hear now is the blowing wind and crickets.

Anonymous said...

I think it's know-it-all, but I don't want to come off as pretentious, so I could be wrong.

Anonymous said...

you are correct i am not a KNOW-it-all!!!

benronhall said...

This is why CY won. Who wouldn't vote for the mascot that speared another mascot on the today show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB9n7JOSpfQ

Anonymous said...

What city was Keith talking about Iowa fans everywhere causing traffic jams over crowding at bars..... Stadium wasn't near soldout, plenty of hotel rooms still available and plenty of rental cars to be found...

Anonymous said...

Issuing a press release that you are not taking a weeks pay when you make $500,000 annually is nothing more than trying to garner support for failing to perform your job. The bottom line is that the cyclone athletic department is near the bottom in football and basketball and thses indibvidulas make big bucks and have not performed.

Anonymous said...

I said in my previous post that I couldn't guarantee I'd be back to this entry, so I didn't see any of the last few posts til now...and like I also said in my last post, I was going to let this pissing contest end, so piling on did you guys no good, athough that was a nice "her" you slipped in there Kirk...that made me laugh on a crappy weather day! Nicely done!