- Tim Floyd strikes me as a coach who would do just about anything to land a recruit, as long as Floyd stays within the NCAA'S gray areas. I have a hard time believing a smart guy like Floyd would hand over an envelope stuffed with $100 bills. I have no trouble believing someone was handing money to Mayo. It never added up that he picked USC. Especially with Floyd's frequently told story of how he didn't even recruit Mayo; Mayo reached out to him.
- Hear those crickets? Not a lot of outrage or panic about losing the AHL, or Iowa Chops. Can you imagine what it would be like if the I-Cubs were in jeopardy?
- Mark Cuban, where did you grow up? Real man 101 teaches you to never disrespect someone's mother. Billion dollars doesn't buy common sense.
- Big Baby is a big man. He took the high road when he apologized to that kid he accidentally bumped after hitting the game-winning shot in Orlando. The kid's dad demanded an apology? Give me a break. It was an accident and no big deal. Entitled whiners wear me out. For once, I wrote that and I'm not talking about the NBA guy in the story.
- Ron Artest watched someone die on a basketball court from a table-leg-stabbing?! Artest really is tough. Kobe better keep that in mind.
- Bobby Jenks: "Yeah, I was throwing at him." Good for you, Bobby. Someone should tell the truth. I support the minimal $750 fine based on the honesty principle. Jenks can find $750 in his change jar.
- If Roger Clemens had just kept his lying mouth shut this week, no one would have noticed yet another book trashing his reputation. Clemens can't get out of his own way.
- No regular season NFL game, let alone the Super Bowl, should ever be played in London.
- Bobby Scales, 31 year old rookie, is a great story. Only Andy would ignore it.
- Props to Ellis Hobbs. He kept his promise.
- Had a great weekend at Honey Creek Resort on Rathbun Lake. Hard to find nicer people than those who are wandering the halls at that place. We also attended a breast cancer fundraiser at the Skein Block restaurant on the fabulous Albia town square. Albia has everything, except T-Mobile cell service.
- Speaking of that, I've removed all email and Facebook settings from my Blackberry. Friends did an intervention. I was becoming that guy. When you start to ignore face-to-face communication, if only for a moment, for the unlikely chance something important just dropped into your cell phone, you're missing the big picture. Can't be that guy.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Floyd's No Fool, Big Baby's a Man, I'm Done with Crackberry (sort of)
Posted by Keith Murphy at 10:07 PM