- The Denver Broncos should never, ever wear those poop brown throwback uniforms again. It's not just that they recall the Padres at their Taco Bell worst, no one remembers the Broncos in these. If you're going back in time, pick out some of the sweet Orange Crush era uniforms. (Props to Southeast Polk's Kyle Orton on leading Denver to an unfathomable 6-0 start.)
- Powder blue shouldn't work, but gosh it sure does on the Chargers.
- The Patriots in the throwbacks, hanging 59 in the snow on the Titans, is a postcard. You just can't beat that Patriot snapping a football on the helmet. As for the Titans, it's too confusing and painful when they wear Oiler uniforms. It's also painful and confusing when the Titans quit trying in the second quarter.
- A good friend of mine called me from Metallica Thursday night, and the Wiggles Saturday night. Only parents understand.
- I just can't get into this baseball post-season. I'm trying, but I just don't have a rooting interest. I do like Kate Hudson though, and she's on TV more than anyone.
- Is there a sadder commentary on the relentless pursuit of fame than "Balloon Boy"? Is there any way to blame this on Jon & Kate?
- I work at an NBC station, and I like Faith Hill's "Waitin' all day for Sunday night", though surprisingly, I prefer Pink's year one version. I digress. No one jump starts a sporting event like Mr. Hank Williams Jr. For decades now, I try to be in front of the TV when Hank shouts, "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!" It's not new, but that song works. I concede Faith is quite a bit better looking than Hank.
- I still don't think Iowa goes 12-0, but I see nothing worse than 10-2, and 11-1 most likely of all. 10, 11, 12... whatever... it ends in a January bowl.
- Hawk fans should enjoy every second. This happens once ever 25 years or so. Don't worry about the loss, enjoy the wins. Ignore the buzzkills. This should be the best of times.
- The Hawkeyes have guts, chemistry, and swagger. There are far more talented teams. Many of those teams have already lost. Can't do better than 7-0.
- Iowa State got a mulligan when Gene Chizik bolted for Auburn. Iowa State is much improved under Paul Rhoads, and for the first time since Dan McCarney left, the players are all in. The Cyclones are a few plays from 6-1, and in future seasons, they'll learn how to win those close games (like Iowa did this year).
- I was wrong. UNI can lose to another division 1AA team. I'm shocked. And the Panthers lost at home in front of a record crowd.
- Nebraska is one of the greatest places on earth to watch a football game. You have to respect the proud history in Lincoln. But my goodness, some of those Husker fans take themselves, and football, WAY too seriously. We've been having some fun with that on SoundOFF. The fans still don't realize we're joking.
- Shawn Johnson's agent has done a masterful job. The celebrity shelf life of an Olympic athlete is typically so short, it borders on cruel. The fact Forbes.com says Shawn is the most liked sports figure in America is a testament to Shawn's appeal (and smart planning). http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/15/shawn-johnson-warner-business-sports-nadal_slide_2.html
- Are any of you forced to watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta? I've made mistakes. This must be payback.
- Jeff Pearlman's latest book, "The Rocket that Fell to Earth", is the mostly fair, almost always fascinating story of Roger Clemens and his blood thirst for immortality. It leaves no doubt Clemens is a serial cheater and liar, though also thoughtful at times.
- I want to see, and don't want to see, Paranormal Activity.
- Jon Miller's www.hawkeyenation.com site is all new, and for the first time all free.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Scattershot Thoughts for October 19th
Posted by Keith Murphy at 9:54 PM