Sunday, June 15, 2008

Scattershots: Back from brief vacation.

I just returned from vacation. Did I miss anything?
*
My goodness, since when does a Flood of the Century happen every 15 years?
*
We went to Kansas City for a couple days. A water park and Royals game usually equals relaxation, even with kids, but Jenny and I spent so much time on the computer checking on what was going on back here, it made sense to get back. We returned to a flooded basement, but compared to so many people, we got off easy.
*
I watched TV around the clock, and for once, very little HD. I couldn't take my eyes off the wall-to-wall flood coverage here on channel 13. I still can't believe some of what I saw. The heartbreaking scenes of people fleeing their homes; downtown Cedar Rapids completely under water; the levees breaking and the water crawling into neighborhoods... I could go on, but you saw it too. Just unbelievable.
*
There's a reason people who leave Iowa often move back. You have to have lived somewhere else to truly appreciate how special it is here. The best part of this awful disaster has been seeing people helping other people.
*
I helped Andy clean out his flooded storage facility, but it was more than worth it to find out his framed OJ Simpson poster was ruined. I know he's had it since childhood, but it's time to throw that junk away.
*
The most surreal sight may have been the I-Cubs playing in secrecy, for safety reasons, in front of a crowd of none. (If you haven't seen Shawn Terrell and Brian Fiser's story, it's worth checking out on our whotv.com sports page video player. ) The weather has wrecked Cubs attendance all season long, and this past weekend really did some damage. Of course, all things considered, a minor concern---unless you own the Cubs.
*
The unfortunate timing award goes to the NCAA Track and Field Championships. By all accounts, Drake put on a world class event, but it went virtually unnoticed by the media, including us, for understandable reasons. I hope the weather downer doesn't dampen Drake's chances to host again.
*
KGGO's Heather Burnside handed out the hottest T-shirts of the week: SHUT UP AND SANDBAG.
*
Shawn Johnson had her training turned upside down when Chow's Gymnastics flooded. It won't stop Shawn. She worked out at ISU, and she'll make the Olympic team this weekend at the Trials in Philadelphia. (look for live coverage here beginning Wednesday) By the way, Liang Chow doesn't have flood insurance, but he'll rebuild in West Des Moines. He also kept his sense of humor intact, joking that he might start swimming lessons at Chow's.
*
The Iowa Corn Indy 250 had that traffic snarl nightmare last year because of soggy grounds, but officials there assure me it won't happen again, even with all this rain they've had. President Jerry Jauron told us on SoundOff, they've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to improve parking.
*
The Iowa Corn Indy 250 is great for Central Iowa. Look for the driver with one career IndyCar win to receive most of the attention.
*
Tiger Woods third round finish at the U.S. Open, on one leg, was phenomenal--even by his standards. Grinding through the final round, in pain, and making that clutch putt to force a playoff is the stuff of legend.
*
Andy thinks I'm going overboard, but I think Tiger is better at his sport than any athlete has ever been at their sport. Maybe I should say "in my lifetime". I don't know much about the first Greek who ran a marathon.
*
The Barnstormers lead the league in attendance, but they won't for long if they don't start playing better. Who am I kidding, it won't matter. It's a party win or lose.
*
Did you see Jewel on NBC's Nashville Star? She acted nuttier than a squirrel turd. And what's with the new southern accent? Didn't she grow up in Alaska? Maybe she's trying to be the Star's Paul Abdul.
*
The new Incredible Hulk is very good, much better than that depressing mess five years ago. I don't know why Edward Norton has a problem, but it delivers just what you'd want in a movie like this. It's no Iron Man, but worth a B.
*
If you have HBO, don't miss Dana Carvey's first concert in years. Funny stuff, especially the bit on Andy Rooney.
*
We're having my wife's birthday party at Wrigley Field this weekend as the Cubs host the White Sox. I feel like I'm getting a present.
*
Be safe, and a big thanks to all of you who helped others this past week.

Keith


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My goodness, since when does a Flood of the Century happen every 15 years?"


A lawyer friend told me that the Flood of '93 was in the 20th Century, whereas this flood is in the 21st. Therefore, each can be the flood of the century.

I was about to stop filling sandbags and hit him with my shovel when he added that when viewed in that light, we should be good for the next 92 years.

Anonymous said...

I'm no Tiger hater like my husband and others I know, but I would definately like to see the underdog win it. Go Rocco!

I respect Tiger for playing with such an injury. And not just playing, but possibly WINNING today. However, I must comment on the fact that his knee didnt seem to be bothering him as much yesterday as it had when I watched on Saturday...especially during his cheering hoop-la on the final hole.

Anonymous said...

Big ::eyeroll:: to the conspiracy theorists who are insinuating that Tiger was "playing up" or worse yet *faking* the pain on the course this weekend.

PLEASE. Tiger is a pro. Quit the conspiracy and the hating.

Anonymous said...

GEESH! One little comment about Tiger and I am now a conspiracy theorist? Did you not read my ENTRE post? I am NOT A HATER. I enjoy watching Tiger play. He is a good golfer and as I said, I RESPECT him for golfing in such pain that he must have been in. I did not intend to insinuate that he was "faking." In fact, I felt bad for him on Saturday when he seemed to be in great pain. Please dont read my comments the wrong way...it is hard to say things the exact way you intend them to be interpretted without going into detail.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Big ::eyeroll:: to the conspiracy theorists who are insinuating that Tiger was "playing up" or worse yet *faking* the pain on the course this weekend.

PLEASE. Tiger is a pro. Quit the conspiracy and the hating.

June 16, 2008 10:00:00 AM CDT


I think you must be the one with the thought that Tiger is faking...jumping all over it like that. Jumping to "defend" Tiger with the other anonymous pointing out that there were select times Tigr was hurting...

Anonymous said...

There's no doubt that certain shots probably hurt him more than others, depending on how he had to torque his leg...but there's also something to be said for adrenaline too. So naturally, he's not going to feel it during those rushes. On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past anyone to play it up, in this day and age.

Keith, don't forget to pack that BIG, heavy suitcase with the breathing holes, marked "open immediately" for your trip to Wrigley...I'm guessing I'm really, REALLY going to have to pee by the time you get to the hotel!!

Happy Birthday Jenny!!! So Keith, what are you going to get Jenny for YOUR birthday???

Anonymous said...

Flood of the Century is a ridiculous term. There was another big flood about 15 years before the flood of '93 also.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking they should just go with "Flood of The Decade"...they could sell T-shirts and everything and never have to wait 100 years to do it again...