Thursday, June 26, 2008

Scattershots: Berryman out of second chances.

Come on, Jason. I believed you. You looked me in the eyes and told me you'd make the most of yet another chance, and you blew it.
*
Either Jason Berryman doesn't really want to play football or he just doesn't care. Two players told me a month ago that Berryman kept missing practices and showing up late to everything. A team official told me today that it never got better and Berryman became a cancer in the locker-room.
*
The Barnstormers call it a suspension because it's required by the league, but the team insider told me Berryman will never play for the Barnstormers again. Will someone else pick him up? Who knows. He's got serious talent when motivated. I've been to three games this season. Berryman wreaked havoc in two of them, and spent the third sleepwalking.
*
At least this was no crime, just bad work habits. And for $200 a week, only the motivated need apply, but you'd think that would include Jason. Talk to him one-on-one and it's hard not to walk away liking the guy.
*
Berryman may not have learned a lesson, but it sounds like Mike Taylor did. Good for him. Nice to see him drafted in the second round.
*
You know it's a sign of the basketball at Iowa and Iowa State when the top player in the NBA draft was kicked off the Cyclone team. Nice to read in the Register that Greg McDermott is proud of Taylor for turning his life around.
*
I think part of what makes watching Shawn Johnson so fascinating is that we can't imagine doing any of what she does. We can swing a golf club somewhat like Tiger Woods (you know what I mean), but that thing where Shawn's standing on a four inch wide beam and suddenly jumps up and does a flip and a twist with her face just inches off the beam, and then lands on her feet?! I don't even see how that's humanly possible. And how 'bout that floor routine. She's 4 feet 9 (in sneakers) and gets more hang time than Leonard Houston. Can't wait for Beijing.
*
Dallas Clark is the kind of guy who will gladly give you an autograph for free, but Sunday at Jordan Creek Town Center in West Des Moines, Clark's charging $20 a pop. Why? Because he cares. From 5:30 to 9:00 p.m. you can bring just about anything to Dallas and he'll sign it in exchange for a 20 dollar donation to help flood and tornado victims. Knowing Dallas, he'll sign something for whatever you can afford. Please bring your Hawkeye and Colts gear and help him raise some cash.
*
The I-Cubs have a new star: Jeff Samardzija. He hasn't done a lot for the Cubs yet, but Notre Dame football fans love this guy. Especially now that the Irish forgot how to win.
*
Someone on the Murphy's Law feedback wants to know why Marty Tirrell "gets the shield and the kid gloves?" I don't see it that way. KXNO suspended Tirrell, but wouldn't say why. Marty took our phone call, but declined comment on any specifics. We showed part of his on-air apology. No one in this office was listening when whatever happened, happened. We're not going to report gossip or hearsay. KXNO and Marty played it smart and didn't provide any fuel for the fire. Meantime, they couldn't have paid for more buzz or hype. It was no stunt, but it proved these guys really get people talking.
*
I spent some time with West Des Moines' Tim McClelland in Wrigleyville last weekend. I asked Tim if he'd ever given thought to the Hall of Fame. Tim said he hadn't, and he was so humbled by the suggestion, I could tell he was genuine. McClelland should give himself more credit, because in my mind, he's a no doubt Hall of Famer (on and off the field). Eight umpires are in the Hall, and there's no doubt Tim is the most respected umpire of his generation. Not only do players vote him the best in MLB year-after-year, McClelland's also been in the middle of several famous moments (the Pine Tar Incident, Sosa' corked bat, the extra inning play at the plate in the playoffs last year). If McClelland's body holds up for another four years, he should think more about Cooperstown.
*
Jenny and I had a fantastic time at Wrigley Field. It was the best birthday present I ever gave someone (for me). A big thanks to Heather Burnside for being such a fun tour guide. I finally recovered enough to type this.
*
I would have finished this sooner, but I got on the computer after Chris Hassel, and whenever he logs off, it takes about 36 hours to finally shut down. I'm not sure what he's doing, but it has to be similar to the month Andy uploaded all 1,100 of his albums for his iPod.
*
Against the advice of many of you, I rented I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry. Couldn't finish it. That is a terrible movie. And what's with Adam Sandler playing the part of a guy who is so hot, all the best looking women fight over him?
*
I enjoyed Get Smart a lot. The action is good, the comedy better. Steve Carrell carries the movie. It's a perfect part for his deadpan humor. Pleasant surprise.
*
Looking for a film noir sleeper... try The Lookout.
*
Shawn Terrell is on vacation. So far I've received four pictures from Pearl Jam concerts. This guy needs another hobby. I'm worried he'll become a roadie, and we need him here.
*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of movies, i am excited to see the new Batman movie.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to jump on Berryman too much, even as a Hawkeye fan, since I don't know any of the details...but Jason, the next level isn't going to come calling, if you don't show the desire at this level...

travis said...

spending a vacation to go see pearl jam. wow.