Monday, March 30, 2009

Don't Kill The Messenger, Marty Is Sincere, Lickliter Tries Too Hard.

  • Of all the misguided energy in the fallout of the KXNO firings, nothing is sillier than the kill the messenger mentality of listeners, viewers, and message board posters who are trying to figure out how channel 13 received the audio. The audio isn't some secret recording or exposed conversation, it's exactly what went out live over KXNO's airwaves. It unquestionably allowed far more people to hear it, but if Clear Channel's firings were based on the actions of those three employees, the replay of the recording should have absolutely no impact on that decision. None. If it did, it was for PR, not principles. Period.
  • I believe Marty Tirrell is genuinely sorry for what happened. And he should be. You should never talk to another human being that way, let alone a co-worker in front of others. I also think Marty's an expert at landing on his feet, partly because he's a genuine radio talent. Why do you think so many people speak of him with so much passion, both positive and negative. Local radio is far more interesting with Marty on the air. He'll be back. (Oh, and credit where it's due: Marty's contrite letter of apology couldn't have been better.)
  • Larry Cotlar did the right thing not accepting the Energy offer to work with Marty. I believe Energy owner Jerry Crawford had good intentions, but Cotlar had nothing to gain, and further association with Marty would only serve to remind the public of their fight. It's too soon. Reconciliations should be private for now.
  • Geoff Conn loved KXNO. He's the kind of guy who gives all. I hope someone will hire him soon.
  • Enough. We're all tired of it.
  • No one should ever complain that the Des Moines media doesn't cover women's basketball. In this economy, virtually no TV stations traveled to the NCAA Women's Tournament, and three stations, not to mention the Des Moines Register & Ames Tribune, followed the Cyclones to Berkeley, California.
  • Shawn Terrell did his usual outstanding job. My favorite video of the week was the Cyclones sitting around the locker room, the night before their game, doing their homework. How much of that do you think goes on in the men's Elite 8?
  • Todd Lickliter tried a little too hard to sound upbeat at his news conference---it came across as fake---but he has to try something. Hawks are flying the coup at an alarming rate. When players leave for more minutes it's one thing; when starters bail, it's another. When four guys who all had big games leave the same week, something stinks. I like Lickliter. I think he can coach. I highly doubt it works out at Iowa. It's not impossible, but winning with that style in the Horizon League is a lot easier than the Big Ten. Have you seen Michigan State in the tournament?
  • Iowa State also lost two players, but it was hard to notice with the Hawks exodus, and Josh Parker's departure at Drake. The Bulldogs looked like they were having no fun changing systems this season, and Mark Phelps hopes Parker is the only one to act on it.
  • Jake Kelly announced his exit on Facebook! Apparently Curt Schilling is his media advisor.
  • Who's the best coach in the state? I think you can make the case for Bill Fennelly. No one gets more out of his players than Fennelly. You can also make a case for Tom Brands. The man just won back-to-back national championships. However, the three most recent wrestling coaches at Iowa won NCAA titles. Before Fennelly arrived at ISU, the Cyclones had one 20 win season in school history. Post Fennelly: 9 including 2 Elite 8 teams. Only winners in this discussion.
  • I watched the Cyclones amazing last minute comeback against Michigan State with a group of friends at Jethros. It's the most I've ever seen a group of people (not at a game) get into women's basketball. It's too bad Jethros didn't turn the game audio on---no one needs to hear Third Eye Blind when the joint's erupting in cheers---but the food, drinks, and video were great.
  • Have you ever noticed Tracy Morgan has really small hands?
  • Our kids are still smiling from the Globetrotters. They loved it. Nice article this week in Sports Illustrated on the resurgence of the Trotters.
  • Whatever the Iowa Chops are paying Tana Goertz, she's worth it. The Chops Apprentice competition put fans in the stands, and added buzz.
  • 24 is great again this season.
  • Chris Hassel keeps nudging me to tweet on Twitter. I think this means I should update my status.
  • Speaking of Hassel, his latest channeling of Marty Tirrell was sharp, funny, and oddly affectionate. You can watch in on the video player at www.whotv.com/sports
  • We just put it in new gutters. That's the kind of crap your house needs, costs a lot, and no one notices.
  • I'm getting my butt kicked in the KIIC Radio "Stump the Chumps' bracket contest. I hope this won't get me banned from Rathbun Lake's Honey Creek Resort. We love that place.
  • Can't wait to see my first Barnstormer game of the season. If you didn't get to a game last year, try it. Affordable and fun. The Stormers will win several more games this season too.
  • I asked what color you think Missouri's road basketball uniform most closely resembled. Your best answers: baby poop, the Crayon no one takes out of the box, macaroni and cheese, pea soup.
  • I love "Friday Night Lights", it's my favorite TV show, but Tim Riggins is increasingly the least believable looking high school Senior since Stockard Channing in Grease (and she was 34). He's a great character, but looks old for college.
  • My youngest boys enjoyed "Sideways Stories" at the Des Moines Playhouse. I have a bit part on a TV monitor as Mr. Kidswatter, which my kids got a kick out of, but the real cast is talented and fun. Star 102.5's Colleen Kelly also does a great job as the voice of one of the teachers. Now that I've seen the play, I wish I could tape my lines again.
  • Love the new Guitar Hero commercial with the coaching legends and Metallica. Always good to see Bob Knight in tube socks and tighty-whities.
  • I'm always looking for ways to stay in shape at home with a time-crunched schedule. Martial Arts instructor Fred Nicklaus says he'll make it happen in 9 minutes a day with his combat workout. I'll keep you posted.
  • Mom's taxi is back in service. That's code for Little League season is upon us.
  • Gosh, it was hard to watch the intervention of Dennis Rodman on Celebrity Apprentice. I hope he gets some help.
  • Jayne Appel just scored again.

10 comments:

Luke said...

Enjoy the post. Enjoy the transparency of your opinion.

Anonymous said...

riggins is just a carbon copy of a senior in my class.. Don't rag on FNL it is the nest show

Anonymous said...

Is Tana Goertz *really* still trying to hang onto "The Apprentice"? Because that was years ago. I think she might be the only person around who still considers her a (quasi)"celebrity". Hang it up.

Anonymous said...

Agree with the Tana Goertz comment. I hear when she does these public speaking events she LOVES to show "her DVD," which is essentially a promotional video of her 10 min. of pseudo-fame on The Apprentince and all the other so-called good she does. It sounds rather selfabsorbing and pathetic.

koolerthenu said...

To the Mr. & / or Ms. Anonymous I disagree with your comment. In regards to Tana and her speaking engagements. She uses her experience from the TV show / DVD the apprentice and from real life experince. To help motivate others in life and in corporate america. I have listen to Tana on numerous engagements and she has never once considered herself a celeberity, but in my eyes she is a celeberity for taking what she knows and knows well to better the lives of those around us. Thank you to Tana as always for all you have done for others and expecially me. As Tana would say "Stay Fired Up".

Unknown said...

I would also like to second what koolerthenu has said above. Speaking from experience WITH the Iowa Chops Apprentice and being one of the finalist, I can honestly say that my interactions with Tana have been nothing but motivational! Never once have I considered her self-absorbed. She truly has a gift to motivate people and encourage them to do things they may not have ever thought possible. We live in Iowa, celebrities are few and far between. For Tana to use her real life experiences for the good of promoting the Iowa Chops, as well promoting what downtown Des Moines has to offer is great! Kudos to the Chops for recognizing her talents and putting them to good use! All the other sports teams should definitely take note. I've worked my butt off to win this contest, but I've also made contacts that are priceless. I've enjoyed each and every minute that I spend with Tana. She's truly a motivator, and she actually walks the walk. Perhaps you "anonymous" people should take a deep look inside yourselves, step away from your blogs and see what "good" things you can contribute to your community. I'm not a blogger...this is my first and only one I'll probably do, but I believe in Tana and I have no choice but to support her!

Tana Fan said...

Obviously "Anonymous" wants to stay anonymous for a reason and obviously has never met Tana in person. She is one of the very few people left who wish only the best for you and wants you to succeed. I guess by putting down others can make some "Anonymous" people feel better about themselves if only for a brief second. I guess we all gave "Anonymous" there short 15 seconds of (quasi) celebrity fame here in Des Moines. Enjoy it! HA!

Jon Stossel said...

People behind anonymous names like Iowa Chops, koolerthenu, and Tana Fan ripping on anonymous posts? Give me a break!

Anonymous said...

I agree on Honey Creek. My kids and I stayed down there in Feb and had a blast. Definitely a hidden gem at this time.

...tom... said...

...

"Hawks are flying the coup at an alarming rate."

Hmmm.

If there really were a 'coup' they probably would have remained to help engineer it.

I am sure you meant 'flying the coop'.


Yeah, it matters.


...tom...