Monday, June 29, 2009

Scattershot thoughts from June 29th

  • Parkersburg has provided us with endless examples of how this town represents the best of us, but none better than the support of the Becker family.
  • I've thought this before, but now it really hits home. Tiny Aplington-Parkersburg has four players in the NFL. That's unbelievable. Thomas must have been some coach. Word is, he was an even better man.
  • I still can't believe the 24/7 coverage of Michael Jackson's death on CNN, Fox, MSNBC and other networks---days later. I guess it's the perfect storm of worldwide famous entertainer with a stunning body of work and long history of creepy weirdness dying before his time under mysterious circumstances.
  • Back before all the plastic surgery, molestation accusations, and prescription drug addiction, I saw MJ in concert. It was the best live performance I've ever seen.
  • Farrah Fawcett got a raw deal even after the end. She went from headline to footnote. I had her iconic poster on my wall way back when. It seemed racy at the time. Tame now.
  • I found myself following USA soccer this week, and like many bandwagon jumpers, I actually thought we might be having the long promised breakthrough moment with the win over Brazil. No way to lose a 2-0 lead in soccer! Never mind.
  • Albert Pujols is not human.
  • Manny Ramirez is.
  • Could anything upset Cubs fans more than Mark DeRosa going to the Cardinals?!
  • The Cubs don't have what it takes to win a championship. They may not even have what it takes to win a mediocre division. Too many headcases, too few leaders.
  • A reminder, it's WimbleDon, not WimbleTon.
  • Chris Evert is right: too much grunting in the women's game. On "Murph & Andy", we played a clip of Williams vs Sharapova. One listener said he thought he was listening to Cinemax.
  • I really thought Shawn Johnson would return for her Senior year at Valley. I think there's next to no chance we see her competing in London.
  • I hope all Lolo's bad luck and misfortune is used up long before London. That woman deserves gold.
  • The girls "sport" with the most disabling injuries---by far---is cheerleading.
  • Josh Hamilton is a guy I'd pay to see, especially batting practice. It will be a bargain if Hamilton swings at Principal Park to start the fireworks early.
  • I'm proud of Chris Hassel for completing his Hy-Vee Duathlon.
  • I love vacation with extended family and friends. It's fun, but not exactly relaxing. The only reason I enjoy seeing a vacation end is so I can catch up on my rest.
  • Disney World in June has a lot of happy faces---and they're all 8 and under. The parents look miserable.
  • Another NASCAR Sprint Cup race decided by fuel conservation strategy. It's like having a lead in the 6th inning and hoping for rain.
  • Shawn Terrell will watch the Coke Zero 400 just to show support for the sponsor.
  • Henrick Motorsports moved into our Daytona rental as we moved out. They jokingly complained about us leaving them "crappy beer". It was Bud Light Lime.
  • Kids say Transformers 2 is better than the first. Adults say it's too long and too loud. I haven't seen it. I did see "Pelham 123" with my dad. Pleasant surprised. We liked it.
  • I hope Ricky Rubio somehow plays for the T-Wolves. We need a reason to remember Minnesota has an NBA team.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Shawn Johnson has gotten to big for her britches!!

Anonymous said...

Disney World is so hott in June that only the boys would enjoy it! The smart ones stayed back =) Mom says she needs a vacation after vacation, I was only down there for a day or two and totally agree!

The Rooster said...

Message from Michael Jackson to the Iowa State Fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PofrtLHhEM

Anonymous said...

well, shawn johnson not returning to valley high is expected. although she wanted too, but security is one of the main thing that hinder her coming back and of course a lot of opportunity is coming too. I'm sure the girl will work hard to finish her senior year online.

Shawn said...

Get used to it now people. West Des Moines and Iowa in general will become nothing but a footnote in Shawn Johnson's career. She does have a great name though.

Anonymous said...

My brother once told me "If you go some place by yourself or with your spouse it's a 'vacation'...if you take the kids it's a 'trip'! Sounds like you might agree with that!

I've read Josh Hamilton's book and my kids watch a recorded show about him that was on last spring about 1-2 times a week. Great guy with a great message. My family will be a Principal Park tomorrow night.

Tim + Janice said...

Sound Off has been doing this for years:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/espn-actually-listens-to-sports-fans-with-new-show/