- I am 100% confident our Hawkeye Insider, Jon Miller, is correct: Jewel Hampton injured his knee. I don't think it's a strain. (update on 7/10: Gary Dolphin said on WHO Radio that Kirk Ferentz told him Hamilton did, in fact, injure a ligament in his knee during non-contact drills, doctors want another look, but at this time, they don't think surgery is necessary. Hamilton could be ready for the season opener against UNI.)
- Can someone please just rip the band-aid off the Iowa Chops? It hurts to do it this slowly.
- Steve McNair's violent death and tainted legacy will give straying married men longer pause than anything since the movie Fatal Attraction.
- I can't believe how much Michael Jackson polarizes people. I'm in the fan camp, though he lost me the past 15 years. The weirdness overshadowed the talent.
- I think Jackson's death, and the over-the-top news coverage, did remind many of us of Jackson's stunning catalogue of music, videos, and live performances. Underrated writer too.
- It took dying, but Michael Jackson is finally back on top, more popular than ever.
- My Heisman handicap going into next season: 1) Tebow 2) McCoy 3) Pryor 4) Bradford 5) Everyone else
- Does Rasheed Wallace make the Celtics the team to beat in the East? Or did Shaq elevate the Cavs?
- "Major League 4" is in the works. Anyone think this is a good idea?
- Andy Roddick did more for his image while losing than any time he ever won. Roddick's match with Roger Federer was epic. Roddick answered all questions about his heart, head, and stones.
- I still think Federer vs. Nadal at last year's Wimbledon was the greatest tennis match of all time.
- The Williams sisters are underrated. Not just in the rankings, but as historical sports figures.
- I hate being right about fans cheering cheating Manny Ramirez like some kind of returning hero, but few can resist the power of celebrity these days.
- Good to see Tiger Woods showing a little personality by interviewing himself after winning his own tournament. Chris Rock shouldn't get nervous, but it was better than RoboTiger.
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest is disgusting and riveting. Once a year is enough.
- Do you watch HBO's Real Sports? Lenny Dykstra is nuttier than a squirrel turd.
- The World University Games experience for Craig Brackins and Lucca Staiger will be one more piece of the puzzle in Iowa State finally have a good season under Greg McDermott.
- I know the movie "Bruno" will make me uncomfortable from start to finish, but I can't wait to see it. I just won't see it twice. I fell out of my seat laughing at Borat, but I've never been able to watch again. I suffer from secondhand embarrassment.
Tuesday, July 07, 2009
Scattershot Thoughts from July 7th
Posted by Keith Murphy at 9:11 PM