- "Idiot of the Week" award to the Cubs bleacher bum who tossed a full cup of beer at the Phillies Shane Victorino. The Cubs players look bad enough this season, the fans don't need to make it worse.
- I didn't think it was possible but HBO made me care, if only for a short while, about the Cincinnati Bengals. "Hard Knocks" combines great storytelling with incredible access.
- My dog just took a dump on my Eagles gear. I had no idea he had been watching TV.
- I know Jeff Samardzija said as far as he's concerned you can take Des Moines off the map, so why can't he stay away? (Just kidding, Jeff. We all understand your preference for Chicago, so stop throwing batting practice.)
- Tough break---literally---for Iowa's Jordan Bernstine. Bernstine worked hard to take the #1 corner spot. He'll still have two seasons there when his ankle heals.
- I have no idea how Jerry Crawford finds the time to run the Iowa Energy and manage the Tampa Bay Rays.
- The Barnstormers had to have a hangover after that disappointing loss to Green Bay, but Brian Villanueva got carried away.
- Green Bay head coach Bob Landsee embarrassed himself, his family, and his organization. I can't believe a grown man---a leader---would act like that. Sure, a few Barnstormer fans got carried away, but nothing excuses the Blizzard hothead.
- Bruuuuuuuuuuce! Springsteen coming to Des Moines. The Well is having a career year.
- Good to see Mario Andretti, Tony Stewart, and Kasey Kahne all in Knoxville this week. That's a pretty good trio---though Kahne doesn't look old enough to have his license.
- I think it's far from over for Rick Pitino. Look for the coach to take more heat as his reputation takes more hits.
- I love the Iowa State Fair---though a little goes a long way. One day is plenty.
- If you haven't been yet, put the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown on your bucket list. Unless you don't love baseball, then make room for something else, like visiting the Pyramids.
- The best kickoff time for me, and my tailgating wants, is 2:30 p.m. in Iowa City and 5 p.m. in Ames.
- Todd Blythe is now receivers coach at Valley High School. The rich get richer.
- Michigan putting Ohio State stickers on tackling dummies shows who's on top and who has the inferiority complex.
- Was anything more predictable than the David Ortiz "accidental supplements and vitamins" defense?
- At least Josh Hamilton was accountable. Eventually.
- T-Pain sings the new Dolphins fight song. It's the old Oilers fight song, which was originally the Dolphins fight song. Got that? Here it is. Get ready for more auto-tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RahX6f-47yE
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Scattershot Thoughts for August 14th
Posted by Keith Murphy at 11:32 PM