- Iowa State football has such a different vibe around it right now. Even if the Cyclones don't win much, they'll have more fun, and the fans will too.
- Paul Rhoads can't contain his excitement, and it's contagious. Iowa State needs that.
- Great decision to put the names back on the jerseys. Nothing is more hollow than, "we play for the name on the front of the jersey". The names are for the fans (but players like the recognition too).
- Media days are interesting. We ask countless questions, even though practice hasn't started yet.
- Paul Rhoads wants to raise expectations, Kirk Ferentz will try to downplay them. It's the smart play by both men.
- If Iowa played in the Big 12 North this season, I think the Hawks contend for the division title, but I'd still pick Nebraska. As for the overall champion, that team is coming from the South.
- Jason Campbell on the cover of Sports Illustrated? I love when SI arrives and that's a dud. Kind of the way I felt when Entertainment Weekly just sent its vampire edition.
- The Cubs and Cards trading first place in August is awesome.
- Bills vs Titans in the Hall of Fame game Sunday on channel 13! Meaningless, but still exciting.
- I hope ESPN is aware the Red Sox & Yankees play this weekend.
- New traffic cameras in Heath, Ohio helped the city issue 10,000 tickets. Now that's good safety.
- LenDale White lost 30 pounds by giving up tequila? I'm surprised my college roommate wasn't manorexic.
- Great news for GI Joe fans. The movie with terrible buzz is reportedly good---especially for kids.
- Still haven't seen "Funny People". I think it has a chance to contend for favorite Adam Sandler movie. I rank them: 1)Happy Gilmore 2)Wedding Singer 3)Reign Over Me 4)Big Daddy 5)Billy Madison 6)50 First dates 13)Waterboy
- The AFL folding will make the Barnstormers franchise more valuable. Keep the ticket prices reasonable, and even more fans will follow.
- AAU Junior Olympians are spending money all over town. I see them everywhere. Thank you for stimulating our economy.
- The U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway was well planned, well executed, and well worth the sunburn I suffered by tailgating for 8 hours. I forget as my hair thins, more scalp is exposed. I'll use sunblock as hair gel next time.
- My wife and I are taking my dad to visit his older brothers this weekend. We've worked in a stop at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I can't wait. Haven't been there since I was a kid. I'm sure I'll feel like one again Saturday.
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
Scattershots thoughts from August 5th
Posted by Keith Murphy at 10:46 PM