- As I write this, the ESPN announcers are going over the top on the Legend of Brett Favre, but he's somehow lived up to the hype---if that's even possible. Probably not. Like many of you, I grew sick and tired of Favre's annual diva act, I had Favretigue, but there's no doubt he's good for the NFL, and good for the Vikings. I keep watching.
- Look for the Packers-Vikings game to be the highest rated program in the 30 year history of ESPN.
- I like these old school Vikings uniforms better. They are not quite as Arena-league looking. The Packers are classic (as always). When the helmet matches the pants, you're off to a good start.
- The Favre commercial where he can't make up his mind about buying a TV is funny and smart.
- I'm excited about Michigan at Iowa, but not like I expected last week. I thought Iowa would drill Arkansas State, and Michigan would win at Michigan State, and we'd have the makings of a classic. Instead, it's just a good match-up, not a great one.
- I picked Iowa to go 9-3 and Iowa State 5-7. I think Iowa will exceed my expectations, though if Ricky Stanzi doesn't stop making ugly plays, Iowa will lose three games. Don't forget, that road schedule is brutal. 12-0 is not going to happen.
- No one in Iowa City was excited about playing Arkansas State. Not fans. Not coaches. Obviously not players. However, the Red Wolves found a hole in that Iowa defense other teams will try.
- Bottom line: 5-0. First time under Ferentz. 90% of the teams in the country wish they were 5-0.
- Iowa State fans deserve better. They are so loyal despite years of gut punches, and then they suffer another one Saturday, this one more cruel than most. We all take the PAT for granted, which is what made the high-to-low crash so much harder for Clones fans.
- I said all last week the K-State game was a pivotal one for Iowa State, and I'm not changing views now. I think a win made a bowl possible. Don't see it happening now.
- It's hard to get too excited about UNI games until the playoffs begin. Obviously the Panthers will be there, and they're so good, it's national championship or bust.
- Can anybody beat Dowling Catholic this season?
- It was great to see the old Seinfeld cast on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Not a great show, but had its moments.
- Shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Office love to make us squirm, but nothing was more uncomfortable than watching David Letterman confess how sex with staffers led to an extortion attempt. The unsuspecting audience kept laughing because they were waiting for a punch line. Smart of Letterman to get in front of the scandal, but still hard to watch, even harder to turn off.
- This is exactly what I need: The 100 Greatest Hits of YouTube in 4 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudhFVnN2o0
- Andy and I love talking sports movies on SoundOFF and our KXnO radio show weekdays from 2 to 4.
Keith's Top Ten
2 The Natural
4 Fields of Deams
5 Brian's Song
6 Bull Durham
7 Jerry Maguire
9 Longest Yard (original)
10 Major League
Andy's Top Ten
2 The Natural
3 Bad News Bears (original)
5 Big Lebowski(?)
6 Hoop Dreams
7 Bull Durham
8 Major League
9 Dale Earnhardt Story
10 Slap Shot