Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Bloodsport, Chubby Keith, (Crap) People from Des Moines Say

Good news. Pulled out of the channel 13 parking lot tonight, and for the first time in a few days, no car was headed straight toward me on our one way street.  It remains tourney time...

New Iowa offensive coordinator Greg Davis comes across as a likable guy. He says Hawkeyes fans are friendly too. Davis says a group of guys who recognized him at his hotel invited Davis to a bachelor party. He didn't go, but no doubt appreciated the thought...

66 degrees Tuesday?! I need to walk to work. Safer these days anyway...

Bill Fennelly wasn't even in his news conference seat yet today when he said he can't believe Fred Hoiberg had to share Big 12 Coach of the Year with anyone...

The Cyclones are finally ranked---and it does matter. More mentions in newspapers, magazines, websites. More highlights shown outside Iowa...

Rick Brown's Sunday Register story on how much Iowa and Iowa State pay other men's basketball teams to visit our state and take a beating was interesting. It's another direction driven by money...

The NFL is violent. Many of us enjoy the bone-jarring hits. But when a team puts bounties on star players, it's bloodsport. There is an important distinction between trying to hit someone hard, and trying to injure a player so he can't return, and make money from that. Roger Goodell will, and should, hit all involved with big fines, and in some cases, lengthy suspensions...

Jimmy Buffett is a genius. Not at singing, though I enjoy some of his songs. He's a brilliant marketing machine. Buffett sells partying, beaches, and sex in every song, concert, book, restaurant, and bar. He's got it figured out. The man has already sold Wells Fargo Arena out... on a Tuesday. The modern day marketing Buffett is Kenny Chesney...

Andy Fales is fascinated when I mention that in my late twenties I weighed 25 pounds more than I do now. For some reason, he can't picture it. I got there the easy way: I saved my junk food binge-eating for really late at night after drinking a few beers. Anyway, this weekend as the Variety Club Telethon was being broadcast, Craig from Ames sent me a picture from a telethon during the chubby years:
I didn't even mention the hair.


There's a new video of "things" people from Des Moines say. My friend Ed Wilson is one of those "things".  Warning: not safe for work (profanity).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I will mention Emma Sams, my 80's crush...oh, that accent, those eyes...

travis ballstadt said...

Jimmy Buffet is like The Wiggles for grown-ups. I still think you're nuts to go see him indoors. Like going to a stargazing workshop at 11am.