- The Winter Olympics most popular sport with television viewers, by far, is figure skating. What do you think is second? (pause for thought bubble)... Snowboarding.
- I completely appreciate the skill and talent of these male figure skaters, but I just can't get into it. Anytime an athlete wears something Lady Gaga thinks is garish, it makes me uncomfortable.
- Never mind. Right after I typed that, American Evan Lysacek clinched the gold over Russian Evgeni Plushenko. It was like Rocky Balboa over Ivan Drago, without the steroids.
- About the time one of my kids asked during dinner break, "Dad, how do those skiers go so close to the poles without running into them", Lindsey Vonn hooked her ski on a gate and crashed. She was disappointed, but not devastated. Once you have a gold medal, it's all cake. Nice to see Julia Mancuso so proud and excited for silver. It shouldn't be gold or bust. Compete hard, have fun.
- Women's halfpipe gold medalist (2002) Kelly Clark is from West Dover, Vermont. We both grew up going to Mt. Snow, only she went on to the Olympics, and I moved to Florida with 0 wins. (I still can't think of the name of that kid who beat me down the mountain every time. Help me Mom!)
- Bet you didn't know... The United States hockey team is 2-0 for the first time in history.
- Props to the Golf Writers Association of America for boycotting Tiger Woods farce of a news conference. Tiger controls everything because he can. Or can he. What exactly has he learned the past two months?
- NBC will carry Tiger's statement live Friday at 10 a.m.
- PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said Thursday night Tiger is returning to therapy after the "news conference" concludes, which shouldn't take long since he's not taking any questions.
- It is important to remember Tiger Woods didn't cheat his sport, a la McGwire, he cheated his wife. Tiger didn't break the law, a la Vick, he broke his vows.
- Tiger's not who we thought he was, and he let a lot of people down, but most of this is personal.
- I doubt I'll ever look at Tiger Woods quite the same way, but I never knew him anyway. I loved to watch him play golf. I likely will again.
- It's 11:28 p.m. and our news is finally starting. Thank you NBC for not interviewing Dick Button.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Balboa vs. Drago
Posted by Keith Murphy at 11:34 PM