Monday, February 08, 2010

Hawkeye No Longer Top Draw

  • ...Hawkeye Pierce, that is. Super Bowl XLIV (I think that's 44) becomes the most watched television show in history. It topples the great M*A*S*H finale, "Goodbye, Farewell & Amen". It was a different era in 1983. Three networks still dominated. There were far fewer televisions, and far fewer Americans. M*A*S*H remains the only non-Super Bowl in the all-time top ten, but it's now #2. The Saints-Colts drew more than 106 million viewers---highest rated Super Bowl in 23 years (Giants-Broncos). I watched that M*A*S*H finale in my college dorm TV room. Do dorms even have those now, or does everyone just have a TV?
  • Another great game. Still can't believe Peyton made that pass, though Porter made a great play. Does it keep Peyton off the Mt. Rushmore of quarterbacks for now? I've got Unitas, Montana, Marino, Elway ... but Brady and Manning still can play their way on there. Maybe even Favre.
  • I thought The Who was okay. The stage upstaged the show. (Can a stage upstage?) The NFL needs to think about going a little younger. Who's next... The Oak Ridge Boys? How 'bout Green Day or Coldplay or the Black Eyed Peas or Jay-Z or the Isiserettes. Who am I missing?
  • My favorite commercial was for Doritos. The little boy sees his mother's date checking out his mom as she walks away. Kid slaps the man into attention: "Two rules. 1) Don't touch my momma. 2) Don't eat my Doritos". I also liked Favre as 2020 MVP, Betty White playing football, and the sentimental Google ad. Really disappointed in the Super Bowl Shuffle reunion. Lame. Go Daddy ads need to go away.
  • Speaking of Go Daddy, Danica says she'll race Saturday at Daytona in the Nationwide Series. I don't know who's going to win, but I can predict at least on driver who's track record suggests she won't.
  • Drake couldn't have a better guy holding its all time scoring record than Josh Young. Way to go, Josh.
  • Drake hosts #19 UNI Wednesday. 19 --- highest ranking in UNI history.
  • Took the whole family to the Ames High/Iowa Energy triple-header Saturday. We had a great time. The Energy really deserves more fans. It's the best basketball in the state, and the whole operation is first class and entertaining. We'll be back soon.

1 comment:

Triple Threat on U.Radio said...

Believe it or not, Keith, at The University of South Dakota, it's both. There are TV's in every dorm (people usually bring their own) as well as lounges on the dorm floors where there is a TV in there.

I thought overall the commercials were horrible, although the Doritos one that you mentioned and the Bud Light stranded island ones were my favorite.