Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring Football and The Hangover - Part Two.

I think I know less about the Iowa and Iowa State football teams than I did 24 hours ago.  Spring games/scrimmages are notoriously bland, and Saturday was no different.  I don't blame Kirk Ferentz and Paul Rhoads for keeping the games vanilla.  Compared with college football's elite teams, depth will always be a probem in Iowa City and Ames.  It doesn't make any sense to risk injuring starters in a game that doesn't count.  I think fans get it...most are just looking to cure their football fix on a nice spring day, and that was certainly accomplished on Saturday.

What a weird day in major league baseball.  The Rockies Ubaldo Jimenez walks six batters but still manages to throw the first no-hitter in franchise history.  And as I write this, they're about to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for the 3rd time at Busch Stadium.  The Cardinals and Mets are in the 20th inning.  My Cubs play a four-game series with the Mets starting Monday, so I'm glad to see NY's bullpen get taxed.

I'm off to Vegas for my brother's bachelor party tomorrow.  Needless to say, it should be a fun week.  I hope I don't run into Mike Tyson.

Shawn

No comments: