Thursday, July 01, 2010

Holiday plans = Hippo Dip

The potential flooding has put a major kink in my holiday plans, as I'm sure it has for many others.  For the last decade, a large group of my family and friends (affectionately called the Redneck Yacht Club) have organized a canoe trip near my hometown of Peterson on the Fourth of July.  After years of missing out on the fun, I finally made plans to attend this year.  But thanks to five inches of rain last weekend, the Little Sioux River is out of its banks.  Alas, it's not safe to canoe.  Fortunately, a member of the Redneck Yacht Club has a pool, affectionately called the Hippo Dip (everything in Peterson has a nickname), and we've decided to have a pool party instead.  Something tells me we'll still have fun.

I realize my complaints about flooding are small in comparison to those in other parts of the state, and near the Birdland levee.  Here's hoping the levees hold, and another tragedy is averted.

Happy Fourth!

Shawn

No comments: