Saturday, May 14, 2011

Barnstormers Blitzed, Hellboy Dazzles, School Daze

What in the world is wrong with the Iowa Barnstormers? Other than leaving town, Friday night had to be the low point in franchise history. The Stormers trailed 49-7 in the first half, and lost by 52. It could have been more. The Sharks showed mercy. Iowa has a bye week, and you have to wonder how many changes an already frustrated ownership and management group will make. The buck stops with head coach John Gregory. He's a good guy and a proven winner, but something is really wrong with this team...

How 'bout Hellboy! Des Moines Hoover alum Jeremy Hellickson pitched his first major league shutout Friday night...

Two sandwiches named after local sports celebrities are running in the top three of ESPN's Fanwich contest. The Emmenecker Challenge from Jethro's is first, the Zach Johnson #3 hoagie from Manhattan Deli is third. I voted for the Zach Johnson. The Emmenecker is a sight to see, but not really anything I'd ever think about eating. The Zach Johnson hoagie, delicious...

I've read several reviews of Bridesmaids that make it sound like a female Hangover, and they mean it in a good way. Meantime, I'm worried about the Hangover II. It appears they tried to make the same movie with a different location. That almost always disappoints (see Ghostbusters 2, for example). I hope I'm wrong...

American Idol needs a new voting system. If you don't appeal to teenagers, you're out. James Durbin and Pia What's-Her-Name should be in the final 3...

Went to my sons' school carnival at Perkins Friday over my dinner break. Rain forced it inside, and it was absolutely BONKERS. My son Colin, 7, said he asked three girls to the dance, "They all said no, but one nearly said yes." Not discouraged. Then at the dance, he just watched everyone getting footloose. My wife asked Colin, "Why aren't you dancing"? Colin said, "I'm waiting for a slow dance. Then I'll ask a girl." He's pretty focused for a first-grader...

I'm headed to the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association convention this weekend in North Carolina. I appreciate the opportunity. I understand I'll be the only one there not golfing, so I should have time to blog and tweet...

-Keith

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was totally "Murphy's Law". What a night mare of a game. It can only get better though. It is darkest before the dawn, but I think after players fighting among themselves on the Stormer bench, there is no doubt Gregory might face retirement.