Monday, May 16, 2011

Gregory Out, Drake Gone, Fan Escapes

(Chris)



After serving parts of 10 years as head coach of the Barnstormers, John Gregory decides to step down. The 72-year-old had quite a career, with Iowa. He led the Stormers to back-to-back Arena Bowls in the mid-90's, and helped shape Kurt Warner into one of the most prolific NFL quarterbacks of all-time. Gregory will stay with the Barnstormers as a team consultant. Defensive Coordinator J.T. Smith has been named the interim coach. If the 2-7 Barnstormers make the playoffs, I'll shave my head --- and my chest.


Drake is getting a lot of mileage out of its trip to Africa. We've talked more about the Bulldog football program, in the past month, than we have in the 4 years I've been here. The kids get to climb the highest mountain in Africa, help kids at an orphanage, and play the ever first college football game on African soil. Kudos to Drake. Great cause, and great marketing.


We talked a lot, on Murph n Andy, today, about autographs. Andy is a big autograph guy. I'm not. One person called in and rattled off the names of several stars that he's ........ (wait for it) ....... peed next to. It really made me feel like I've been missing out, because I refuse to use urinals. That's another story, for another day.


What's Buggin' Andy was right on, this week. The 'tip' is getting out of hand. I tip my waitress, and my cab driver, but I won't go much further than that. Every time I go to the tropics, for vacation, I get a kick out of the shuttle drivers that take you back and forth from airport, to hotel. They put the tip cup right up on the dash, and there's always a crisp $20-dollar bill sticking out. When I hand him a pair of ones, he doesn't dare put them in the cup. He wants everyone to think $20 bucks is the going tip.


I still get all jacked up when I think about the Taj Gibson facializing the Heat, in game 1, Sunday. As a Bulls fan, I've seen 6 NBA championships, but I haven't seen the Bulls get this far since I was in 7th grade. If you're not watching 'Game of Thrones', on HBO, you should start. A casual channel flipper will say it's like 'Lord of the Rings'. It's not. Give it a try. You're going to need something to pass the time until the new season of 'Curb' starts up.


It turns out Ben Jacobson wasn't offered the Texas A&M job, as we expected. He says that he told the Aggies he was no longer interested, before they decided if they wanted to hire him or not. He told the Des Moines Register that A&M told him it was between him, and one other candidate. That candidate was Billy Kennedy --- the new head coach in College Station.


One of the greatest spectacles, in sports, is when a fan rushes the field, and evades security. Usually, they get caught --- not this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7B4gic-qU










No comments: