Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Woodbury to Decide, Green for Greenwood, DJK Speaks





(Chris)

Tomorrow could be the biggest day in the history of the Fran McCaffery era, in Iowa City. Prized recruit Adam Woodbury, of Sioux City East, plans on making his college decision on Wednesday night, at 7:00. Rumor has it that Woodbury may pick Iowa over North Carolina, and Ohio State. The 7-foot-1 center is considered by some to be a top-ten recruit in the class of 2012. After all the noise Fred Hoiberg has made, on the recruiting trail from Ames...McCaffery needs Woodbury.

That may have been the first mention of basketball, in a September blog, in the history of Murphy's Law.

Former Hawkeye, Brett Greenwood remains in a medically induced coma, after collapsing while working out in Bettendorf, last week. Doctor's say they may try to wake Greenwood by the end of the week. Wednesday is Greenwood's 24th birthday. His friends and family are asking everyone to wear green in support of the former Hawkeye. I had the privilege of covering Brett, in high school at Pleasant Valley, when I worked in the Quad-Cities. Believe it, or not, he was actually a better basketball player than football player, in high school. He led PV to the 4A state championship game, in 2006....a game Greenwood and Pleasant Valley lost to Des Moines Hoover. We certainly wish him all the best in his long road to recovery. He's a great guy.

It was an interesting day at Hawkeye media day in Iowa City, Tuesday. Check out this exchange between Kirk Ferentz, and hawkeyeinsider.com's Rob Howe. Ferentz wasn't happy that Howe asked him if he tried to sway NFL personnel away from taking a chance on Derrell Johnson-Koulianos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7F_wEWZpw

Shortly after the exchange, I contacted DJK to get his reaction. This is what he told me:

"I will say this. Multiple NFL personnel sources have confirmed that I didn't get great reviews from Iowa. Whether that's true, or not, I don't know. I do know that had I not got into trouble, none of this discussion would be of existence. I also was told from someone of great power, who I won't reveal the name, told me if I caused any more headaches, they would make sure the NFL knew about it. That was said to me, face-to-face, prior to my arrest. You do the math. Furthermore, I would like you to know I want nothing but the absolute best for head coach Kirk Ferentz, and everything Iowa. I move forward in hopes to have learned from the situation, and i want all parties involved to know i mean that. I have endeavours that I'm plenty excited and passionate about. While I want nothing but to get back on the field, I'm afraid those chances are no more." - Derrell Johnson-Koulianos


It was a very well-thought-out statement by DJK. I appreciated the fact that he, once again, took responsibility for his actions, and wished the Hawks nothing but the best. He knows it's ultimately his fault that he didn't get a chance to make an NFL squad, but I think he's also hurt that Iowa (the school he holds the all-time receiving record at) may have had a hand in his inability to get a chance.

No comments: