Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dr. J's Famous House Call, Red Socks on Red Sox, Booing Starlin Castro

  • It's the 30th anniversary of Dr. J's mind-blowing up-and-under move in game 4 of the NBA finals. The Lakers went on to beat the 76ers in the series,  but let's not forget, the Doctor made many of the moves before Air Jordan did.
  • The Atlanta Hawks should be ashamed of themselves. Our dog who sleeps 22 hours a day thinks the Hawks showed no effort.
  • In the best quarterfinal series, I look forward to Cavs-Celtics 5. LeBron says he'll D-up Rajon Rondo on occasion. No one could stop Rondo in game 4.
  • Props to Boston's Dustin Pedroia. At least one Red Sox player actually shows red socks. Enough with the stupid pajama bottoms.
  • Ken Griffey Jr. needs to stay out of the locker room during games, and naps are definitely out of bounds, but you can't cut the greatest player in Mariners history. Fine him, talk him into "retiring", but you can't cut him---even with his .208 average.
  • Didn't take Cubs fans long to boo Starlin Castro, but his effort going after the ball following his third error was inexcusable, and allowed the Marlins an extra base.
  • I love Jamie Moyer pitching a shutout at age 47. Anytime an active player is still getting it done, and he's older than me, I feel I've got some game left somewhere. Once all players are younger, it will be harder for me to kid myself.
  • USA Today has a front page story on I-Cubs manager Ryne Sandberg and the people who were named after him in the 80's. Here's another: Chris Ryne Hassel.
  • I need more info, but at first blush, I like the AP re-opening the vote for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year after Brian Cushing tested positive for performance enhancers.
  • UNI has called a news conference for Thursday at noon. Our friends at KWWL report Hawkeye assistant Doug Schwab will be announced as the next Panther wrestling coach.
  • The one recreational sport that's recession proof: hunting. Sales are up 22%. Hard hit sports include water skiing -20%, snow skiing -12%, and golf -11%.
  • I watched episode 9 of the Pacific on HBO last night. It was the hardest to watch yet. Brilliant, but joyless---which I'm sure is the point. Band of Brothers had more humor and male-bonding. Pacific makes the point, war is hell, and makes it as well as any production ever. Relentlessly.

No comments: