Monday, May 17, 2010

World Cup, Brockmire, and Phone Tumors

(Chris)

Another ho-hum sports week is in the books. Andy Fales has learned that Paddy O'Prado won't race in the Belmont Stakes, in three weeks. That means Paddy's triple-crown career is over...and Andy's career as a horse racing reporter is likely over, as well.

The Cardinals fell out of 1st place in the NL Central for the first time since July 31, 2009. I'm guessing it won't last long. The Reds have it going, right now, but 4 1/2 months is a long time. I think the Cards will win the division by 8-12 games.

My favorite part of SoundOFF was, during FaceOFF, when Andy did his best FIFA World Cup promo. I must admit, he knocked the South African accent out of the studio. I'll try to get into the World Cup, but I'm afraid I'll have to stick to watching highlights of the one or two goals scored a game. I really want to like the sport, but when there's no scoring, there's no excitement. I loved playing soccer as a kid, but we would actually put the ball in the net.

I'm much more interested in the NHL playoffs than the NBA playoffs. I like them both, but hockey has it going on this year. And if you think hockey is anything like soccer, check yourself.

Shawn is right. 'America, the Story of US' is an amazing series on the History channel. I get goose bumps every time they roll the open. It's a must-see. Chances are, if it's on History, or Discovery, I'm going to love it.

If you have a sense of humor, and don't mind a few dirty words, google 'Jim Brockmire'. He's a broadcasting "legend" ... I've memorized the entire 4-minute video. Believe me, it's much better than 'We Built Sioux City'.

Guess what? An international study has found that cell phones don't cause brain-tumors. Did anyone actually believe that rumor, in the first place? The study also found that telling a lie does, indeed, give you white deposits on your fingernails. Fascinating.

No comments: