Monday, May 10, 2010

Perfecto, Ryno, O'Prado, Oh No

(Chris)

From no-name, to perfect game. Some dude with two first names threw the 19th no-hitter in Major League history, Sunday. Dallas Braden (or is it Braden Dallas?), had a career record of 16-23 when he took the mound against Rays who, right now, are the best team in baseball. A's fans will never forget him...all 72 of them.

The I-Cubs haven't played many perfect games this season. I've been to at least 10 of them and I'm usually lucky to see one run. Today, I was able to see three...in one inning! That's an offensive explosion for a team that's been struggling with the bats all season. Ryne Sandberg told us he hopes this is finally the end of the slump.

I was surprised to see all the empty seats in the lower bowl of Wells Fargo Arena at Saturday night's Barnstormers game. The announced crowd was just over 8,000, but I think the new AFL franchise wants to be doing a little better. Last year, they averaged 9,500, a game. And, after that 12,000-fan showing on opening night, I thought they'd be drawing no less than 9-10k a game. I was thinking, and hoping, there would be more 'buzz' surrounding the team.

I'm happy to see Paddy O'Prado will be given the chance to run at the 'Preakness', this Saturday, in Baltimore. The race is about a tenth of a mile shorter than the Kentucky Derby. As you may remember, Paddy faded fast on the final stretch, costing him a second-place finish. Perhaps the 1-3/16th mile track at Pimlico will be more to his liking. You can watch the race on Channel 13.

Tiger Woods picked up his ball, and went home. Some would say he 'quit'. Tiger says he left due to neck pain. He believes he might have a bulging disk (or disc). Not to be confused with a bulging...well...just listen for yourself:  http://www.tmz.com/2010/05/09/tiger-woods-tpc-players-championship-golf-bulging-disc-video/   It was inevitable.

I'm supposed to play in the Principal Charity Classic media event at Glen Oaks CC, Monday. The weather report calls for 47 degree temps, rain showers, and sustained 20 mph winds. I've already told myself I'm not going to cancel. I just hope, if the weather holds true, the fine folks at Glen Oaks cancel it for us. Insert Keith's "What the crap, Ed?!", here.

No comments: