Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gavels, Gaga, and Grand Slams

(Chris)

I am not a soccer fan (I hate it), but I like the World Cup. Today was a prime example of why I welcome the event. I got into the sports office about 1:30pm. Instead of dealing with Judge Joe Brown background noise, I was able to watch Spain beat up on some patsy. I'll take vuvuzela's over daytime TV, any day of the week.

The high school football season starts on August 20th, this year. That means CIML teams will have four games in the books before the NFL kicks things off on September 12. Only 8 non-Football Friday's, left.

It was a bittersweet weekend for Iowa Speedway officials. The racing was great (perhaps the best in the Iowa Corn Indy 250's 4-year history), but attendance was not. Just over 35,000 fans passed through the gates, Sunday...the smallest crowd of the four.

Lada Gaga made a special appearance at last weekend's Yankees-Mets game....in the clubhouse:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/06/lady-gaga-not-banned-from-yankee-stadium-after-all.html The assistant to the traveling secretary is said to be handling the matter behind closed doors: http://www.schultesports.com/library/resources412/buckshowalter/buckshowlaterseinfeld.jpg

The I-Cubs were shut out 4-0, on Sunday. On Monday afternoon, they scored 12 runs...and still lost by 4. The Isotopes hit two grand slams. Gotta love the PCL.

The most-sought after free agent in NBA history has his first off-season offer, and the deal comes with a host family: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5312220

No comments: