Monday, June 21, 2010

Pebble Beach, IRL, and Alex from Green Mountain

The U.S. Open is my favorite major, but Sunday's final round was a train wreck.  Graeme McDowell won because he played "less worse" than everyone else in the field.  After Lefty and Tiger each turned in 66's on Friday and Saturday, respectively, there was potential for great drama.  We didn't get it. 

On a positive note, I absolutely loved having a major broadcast in primetime.  Pebble Beach is the one of the few major venues (Torrey Pines is the only other I can think of off the top of my head) in the Pacific time zone.  That's too bad because, without Musco Lighting and a course on the left coast, it's a little difficult for a major to air live in primetime.

The 2010 version of the Iowa Corn Indy 250 featured the best racing in the event's four-year history.  The threat of rain kept some fans away, but 35,000 in the stands is still pretty solid.

I hosted SoundOFF with Andy on Sunday night.  The show generates a lot of feedback, most of which is respectful and thought-provoking.  There are also emails like the one I received from Alex-

get out more offten

get to know your small towns you putts
quite smoking dope in ames with half the clowns
and explore the small towns of iowa
hell do a sports story on iowa gatorade female athlete from conrad
or is that to hard?

Alex was upset that I had never heard of Green Mountain, IA.  I now know that Green Mountain is in Marshall County and consists of at least four blocks, not counting the cemetery.  I'll try to do better next time.

Shawn

No comments: