Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Held to 3, Bad Officiating, Florida Flop

  • I'm still stunned at Iowa's offensive output at Penn State. With all due respect to the Nittany Lions solid defense, there is just no way Iowa should be held to a field goal. Too many weapons.
  • I'll be surprised if Iowa doesn't beat Northwestern Saturday night, and I don't think it will be that close.
  • The phantom offsides call on the Iowa State kicking team at Baylor is one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I don't buy for a second the officials were "out to get the Cyclones", or that it cost ISU the game, but bad calls and bad mistakes (by Iowa State) ended any chance the Cyclones had.
  • Remember when Baylor was viewed as a W on the schedule? RG3.
  • We did not travel to Waco, so we're not owed an explanation by Iowa State why players weren't made available to the media after the game. However, for a reporter like Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register, who was there, those quotes are an essential part of his job, and communicating the reason for the freeze is not too much to ask. Knowing how upset Paul Rhoads and his players appeared after the game, and how accomodating Iowa State typically is, I'm sure there is a logical explanation. ISU, more than most, understands it is a state-run institution with an obligation to grant reasonable media access, as well as an essential need for coverage and publicity of the football program.
  • The lack of post-game player quotes hurt Logue further when his flight from Waco was cancelled, and Andrew missed ISU's Monday media access opportunity. He said it was just a "lousy trip", complete with a prop plane that looked like it should be piloted by Amelia Earhart. Wonder if Andrew sat next to Del Griffith.
Andrew's pilot and plane from Waco?
  • There are no schools from Florida in the AP top 25. That should never happen.
  • Basketball media days arrive too early, and go mostly unappreciated, but I think Cyclone fans will lean in Wednesday because they can't wait for any glimpse of what kind of hand Fred Hoiberg has.
  • My wife and I needed a little weekend get-away to contemplate some life decisions, so we headed down to Honey Creek Resort at Rathbun Lake. This time we rented a cottage, and it was all we hoped, which is to say, in no way roughing it. In fact, we had Directv on an HD flat screen above a gas fireplace.

2 comments:

Oprah Winfrey said...

Keith, if you're having trouble making big life decisions, I recommend tuning into my new show, "Oprah's Lifeclass". I hope I can inspire you.

Keith Murphy said...

Oprah,

Thank you. I've been lost since your former show left the air, but I continue to write my feelings down in a dream journal.

Glad to hear you're back so I don't have to think for myself any longer.

Worshipingly,
Keith