- Baseball America names Des Moines' Jeremy Hellickson MLB Rookie of the Year, but Hellickson doesn't really want to talk about it until the "real" awards are in. He should win American League honors from the baseball writers too.
- There are few, if any, jobs in Iowa sports more thankless than leading the Des Moines North football program. If Greg Holland is done as head coach of the Polar Bears, after a long and difficult run, it's nice to see Holland go out with a win. I just wish the Hoover kids could have experienced that feeling too. (Hoover did win one game, but it was by forfeit.)
- I think Texas A&M is going to keep the misery going in Cyclone country. I'll be surprised if ISU keeps it close, but I hope I'm wrong.
- Indiana often plays Iowa tough. Not this year. Iowa will thump the Hoosiers. Game over by halftime.
- UNI fans who double as Hawkeye fans should get a kick out of seeing Jewel Hampton run the football against the Panthers. Hampton's the leading rusher for Southern Illinois. Salukis at UNI-dome Saturday.
- Theo Epstein is finally announced as a Cubs employee. Good for the Cubs.
- Anyone else sick of Missouri's news conferences to further hint at leaving the Big 12, while simultaneously trying to ensure it doesn't look like the bad guy? Just go. It's understandable, go.
- How 'bout the late Steve Jobs throwing down on Google and Bill Gates in his biography?
- Part of starting a new Facebook page---thank you, Alisa---led me to post a picture of myself as a koala bear. Long story. Now, thanks to this blog, I've learned koalas aren't bears, they're marsupials. Thank you, astute readers.
- Dan Winters kid, Cole, is seriously cute:
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Hellboy, Hawks, Hampton, Hoover, and other H's
Posted by Keith Murphy at 12:29 AM