Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fairly Uninterested in the Fair.

I feel like I'm the only person living in Iowa that doesn't enjoy the State Fair.  I'm 32, and I've lived in Iowa almost my entire life, but I still don't understand the allure.  As Keith pointed out in a previous blog, the fair is incredibly expensive.  10 bucks for admission, 10 bucks for parking, and for what?  Over-priced food and drink?  But more than that, nothing at the fair seems to interest me.  I'm not shopping for a new hot tub, I don't raise livestock, and the "carnies" aren't all that interesting to talk to.  The strange part is, I'm surrounded by people that live for the fair.  I have college friends that live in downtown Chicago, and they annually make a five hour drive just for "East Side Night." I don't get it.  What am I missing?

Shawn

2 comments:

Layne said...

Well I'm 30 and lived here my whole life and couldn't agree more. The prices ate insane and the food is ok at best. However my Wife and kids love it, so I go for them and make some memories.

Anonymous said...

I've had to work at the fair in the past...I get in free, the company reimburses me for the food, and I STILL don't look forward to it. This year my boss finally agreed with me that it's a waste of money since most of the people on scooters and/or with mullets are just trolling for free stuff anyway (plus the booths there are expensive). For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would willingly spend their vacation camping there for 10 days...it's the same thing EVERY YEAR!