Friday, July 15, 2011

Cost of Winning, Carver Revitalized, Nasty Nickels

(Chris)

What's the cost of a win? For the Hawkeye football program, it's over $1-million. The U of I is paying Louisiana-Monroe $1.05-million to come to Iowa City, and get its butt kicked. To put that into perspective, the U of I pays Fran McCaffery $1.1-million per-year. 

Marcus Coker is on the Doak Walker Award watch list. Really? He's started one game. Granted, it was a fantastic game, but I'm still surprised. 

The $47-million Carver Hawkeye Arena "revitalization" project is almost complete. It's a good thing the Hawkeyes aren't moving in until July 25th. If Franny Mac had been there, Thursday, he make have destroyed the entire building.

FYI - our spy inside the Iowa athletic offices tells us that he had a camera on McCaffery when he received the news that Anthony Hubbard was leaving. We're hoping to release it, Sunday night, on SoundOFF.

Newt Gingrich threw out the first pitch at the I-Cubs game, tonight (it was actually one of 86 first pitches). One fan, who was wearing a Steve Young jersey, asked me what Wade Phillips was doing here.

I witnessed a mother teaching her daughter the meaning of irony, at the ballpark. After the daughter hit her brother, Mom smacked her in the face and said, "We don't hit!"

When did the British Open become the "Open Championship"? Apparently we're not supposed to say "British Open", anymore. What the crap? We're going to have real problems when the folks at the United States Golf Association decide to take the "U.S." out of the U.S. Open. 

You know what I hate? Nickels. They're big, bulky, and they aren't worth the hassle. Why are nickels so much bigger than dimes? When I'm digging through my change jar, I always get all excited that I've found a quarter, until I realize it's just a worthless 5-penny piece.

2 comments:

Keith Murphy said...

Chris, I'm so proud of you. You finally figured out ironic, which as know, is arguably the most misused word in the English language.

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Now if someone could get him to use commas less frequently and apostrophes (not apostrophe's - get it?) correctly.