Saturday, October 16, 2010

College Football Saturday


I thought if the Hawkeyes played well in Ann Arbor, they'd beat Michigan by double digits. They did. And they did. However, the game didn't play out like I thought it would. If you would have told me on Friday that the Hawks would be plus-four in turnovers and block a kick, I would have said Iowa would win by three touchdowns. Michigan hung around late, despite its self-inflicted wounds. That shows just how difficult it is for Iowa to win in the Big House.
I thought the Hawks got a little conservative on offense for a couple series in the second half, but stayed aggressive for the most part. It was great to see the slant pass calls to Marvin McNutt, DJK, and the screens to Adam Robinson late in the game. I like the aggressiveness, relatively speaking.
I expected Oklahoma to blow out Iowa State, but I never imagined it would be 52-0. The Cyclones brought a knife to a gun fight, which is one way of saying they didn't even get a shot off. There's no shame in a loss to a top ten team on the road, but Iowa State wasn't even competitive. That's disconcerting. I wish I could break down the game more, but to be honest, I quit watching in the second quarter. I couldn't take any more.
Shawn

No comments: