- Great to see Johnny Orr the man, and Johnny Orr the statue. I pushed for the "Orr Floor", but after seeing the statue, Iowa State got it right. The statue shows the energy Johnny brought when creating Hilton Magic. A floor can't do that.
- I found it touching how Fred Hoiberg shows love and affection for Orr. You can debate whether Orr is, as Fred says, the most important sports figure in Iowa State history, but you can't debate Hoiberg believes it.
- Wednesday night's Hilton Coliseum crowd showed signs of life, and flashes of Magic, but Kansas is just too good. Even in years when Kansas had the better team, Iowa State could once upset KU at home thanks to a player like Hoiberg, Fizer, Tinsley,Willoughby, or Stinson going off, but ISU just doesn't have a player of that caliber. Yet.
- Iowa started the Big Ten season 0-3, but no shame in losing to three ranked teams. What happened Wednesday night will worry a few Hawkeye fans. Northwestern walked into Carver-Hawkeye Arena and embarrassed Iowa. It was 36-14 at one point. Northwestern couldn't miss, and Iowa couldn't defend. Didn't see that one coming.
- Tyler Sash is nearly 23. It makes sense, and is not surprising, he's entering the NFL draft. We had RVTV in Oskaloosa this year, and it's hard to put into words how proud that town is of Tyler.
- Marvin McNutt made the right choice returning for his Senior season. He's go the skills, and NFL body, but needs another year of receiving. He's only in his second year.
- Just now watching final episode of 24/7 Winter Classic. I didn't know they broke out the Survivor song from Rocky IV!
- SportsDome on Comedy Central is a spot-on spoof of SportsCenter, though more clever than funny.
- We took our Christmas tree down. I already miss it.
- Andy turns 40 Thursday. He really seems bothered by it. I told him I've never been happier. I think he'll be the same. He and his wife have a baby on the way!
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Johnny X 2, Hawkeye Surprise, Christmas Ends
Posted by Keith Murphy at 12:30 AM