- January 11th, and the college football season is finally over. The BCS title game arrived too late, then used every second of the game before deciding a champion.
- Auburn and Oregon played like two teams that hadn't played in 35 days. It was a sloppy title game, but for the most part, entertaining.
- Cam Newton made big plays and big mistakes, including short-arming an easy touchdown pass on 4th and goal. Newton ultimately leads Auburn to the 3 point win---the Vegas line---thanks in part to an improbable run by a Freshman running back sure to give Oregon nightmares for years. The officials were right, he was not down.
- Gene Chizik goes from 10 straight losses at Iowa State to a national championship at Auburn in two years. It's clear many Cyclone fans aren't happy about Chizik's success. On twitter (@MurphyKeith), I was asked repeatedly Monday night why Clone fans are so bitter, and who could blame Chizik for leaving? I think anyone can, and should, understand Chizik's decision. It wasn't the why, it was the way. But Sean Keeler is right, it's time to move on. Bottom line: Gene Chizik is better off, and Iowa State is better off.
- Chizik made $700,000 in bonus money with the win. (source: CNBC)
- I had 15 in our Murph & Andy "How many times will Cam Newton's father be shown on camera" pool, but Cecil decided not to attend the game.
- Right before the game-winning field goal, did Brent Musburger really say, "This one is for all the Tostitos"? That had to be required by the network and sponsor.
- My favorite halftime moment ever: the troops thought to be in Iraq surprising their families on the field. Awesome.
- When does Auburn play TCU?
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
This One's For All the Tostitos. Really?
Posted by Keith Murphy at 1:25 AM