Friday, June 17, 2011

Rory Roars, No New Year's Games, Peterson Ponders Return

(Chris)


McIlroy will try to put what happened
at Augusta behind him.
Zach Johnson is finally competing at the U.S. Open. Johnson who has never finished better than 45th, is in a tie for 3rd after two rounds. The problem is, he's NINE strokes behind roaring Rory McIlroy. The 22-year-old has held the lead in three of the last four major tournaments, but most seem to believe he's going to blow it --- again. After shooting 63 in the 1st round of the 2010 British Open, Rory carded an 80. After holding a 4-stroke lead heading into the final round of this year's Masters, Rory carded another 80. I may be in the minority, but I think he's finally going to break through. He's the next big thing, in the game of golf. It's just too bad he's not American.


After taking about six years away, I've fallen back in love with the game of golf. Unfortunately, my temper is also back. I got so mad the other day, I bent my putter. In hopes of ending my temper-tantrums once and for all, I'm punishing myself by continuing to use the putter for the rest of the year. I'm not happy with myself, but I need to teach myself a lesson.

There will be no New Year's Day bowl games, in 2012. January 1, 2012 falls on a Sunday, the same day the NFL regular season comes to a close. That's assuming there is a season.

The Cubs have won 4 of their last 5 games. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hell-Head
Jeremy Hellickson now has his own bobblehead...and he's repping Des Moines Hoover. They'll be handing these out to a select few at Wednesday's I-Cubs game.

According to the Des Moines Register, former Hawkeye Jeff Peterson is thinking about becoming a future Hawkeye. Two years ago, Peterson left with Jermaine Davis, David Palmer, and Jake Kelly. After two years at Arkansas, Peterson is transferring, again. He says it's down to Texas A&M, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, and Iowa. That's a little odd. I can't think of an example of a guy that began and ended his career at the same school, with another stop (of his own choosing) in between.
Peterson averaged 10 pts/gm as a soph.
I was at Quiznos, today, and there was a cute two-year-old girl running around while her Mom was eating. The girl could obviously tell I was a fine gentleman, so she was standing next to me while I was in line. The guy in front of my turned around and asked me how old she was. I've never been so relieved to say she wasn't mine. I'm, hopefully, still a few years away from holding that kind of responsibility.

No comments: