Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tiger Lite, Soto Stinks, Menace Score,

(Chris)

There is no way Rory McIlroy is going to blow an 8-stroke lead. He reminds me a lot of a young Tiger Woods, from the twirl of his club, to his confident walk. He's Tiger Lite.

Golf needs a Tiger/Rory rivalry
The U.S. Open runaway is a bad thing for this year's ratings, but it's great for the game of golf. We've been waiting for 10 years, for someone to step up and become the next great golfer. Phil Mickelson nearly got there, but I think Rory will get there. The only question is, will Tiger ever revert back to the old Tiger? If he does, we could have a Nicklaus-Palmer type rivalry. Yes, they're 13 years apart, but Nicklaus was 11 years older than Palmer. The problem is, Nicklaus was in his prime in his mid-30's. Tiger seems to be on the downside of his career.

Soto went from Rookie of the Year, to
the Mendoza Line, in just 3 years.
I actually watched most of the Cubs-Yankees game today. It's the first baseball game I've paid attention to, all season. I wish I hadn't. The last time I watched a Cubs game, Geo Soto was a great hitter. The guy is barley batting over .200! What the heck happened?! I'm afriad the answer will end up in some tell-all book, someday. 

The Yanks have won 27 World Series titles since the Cubs last won a championship, but in 1908, the Yanks were the laughing stock of the league. The Cubbies had a pair of World Series titles, and 9 NL pennants. The Yankees had none of either.

We're beginning to see more and more empty seats at Barnstormers home games, as the season rolls on. One reason, is the weather...but the main reason, is the losing. Iowa has a bad team, this year. Still, the Barnstormers rank in the top 7 in the AFL in attendance.

You could've watched Gone
with the Wind, or the Menace's
333 min scoreless streak.
With the I-Cubs out of town, if you wanted to watch a sporting event, outside, you may have gone to the Menace game. I'm always surprised by how many people actually attend their home games, but the level of play is definitely good. The problem is, it's soccer. I was at the Menace game, Tuesday night, for 85 minutes of game time, and never saw a goal. As soon as I got to the car to head back to the station, someone finally scored. In fact, they scored their first goal in 333 minutes, Saturday night. That's basically 3 1/2 movies, unless we're talking 'Gone with the Wind' ... then it's just one.

Earlier this week, a friend asked me if I thought Chicago would be this decades Boston (meaning, could Chicago win titles in all four major pro sports). The answer is "Are you kidding me? No..."

No comments: