- What an embarrassing day for the Big Ten. How could you get all the way to the day before kickoff before realizing you don't want Northwestern and Illinois football players running into the Wrigley Field wall?
- Bruce Pearl was the overwhelming choice of Hawkeye fans after Gary Barta fired Todd Lickliter. Be careful what you wish for. The SEC suspends Pearl for eight games. Pearl knowingly committed NCAA violations, then lied about it. One Iowa fan told me today, he doesn't care. He'd take Pearl and probation in exchange for some winning. I think more fans feel that way than you'd think. Meantime, Illinois fans of a certain age have a good laugh.
- The bar is so high in Madrid, the Tigers are disappointed at a 13-1 football season. It was a title or bust season for a school that's enough of finishing second (1-7 in championship games). Boys, take it from me and many other football players who never even made it to the playoffs: you had a great run.
- Is the 4-A title game halftime show over yet? That was longer than Avatar, though it was good to see Tim Dwight. I just wish they'd have interviewed TD about his love of the movie Zoolander. Tim could have hit everybody with some Blue Steel.
- Bucs finally lose Friday night. Winning streak ends at six. Regg Simon has the boys playing (and fighting).
- Harrison Barnes shot 0-13 Friday night. That's a rough night for a pre-season All-America, but he is still a freshman.
- Xavier beat Iowa in the Paradise Jam. That's going to happen to the Hawks a lot this season. Fran McCaffery doesn't have enough talent for his system, or any system. It will take time, and it starts with recruiting. McCaffery can coach.
- I have a hard time predicting what this Iowa football team will do. I think Ohio State wins Saturday, but this season, who knows. Which Iowa team will show?
- I don't see any way Iowa State beats Missouri. Prove me wrong Clones.
- Iowa Energy start the season with an easy win at home. Energy at home Saturday once Dane Cook clears out of The Well. The Energy is under-rated entertainment. Cook? I'm not sure.
Friday, November 19, 2010
Wrigley Debacle, Pearl of No Wisdom, Blue Steel
Posted by Keith Murphy at 9:42 PM